Turning off PB for clients

phantasm

Since punkbuster is no longer needed anymore, I would like to disable it for players so they have less lag.

I have been using this in the default.cfg:

forcecvar pb_sleep 500

Now, I am thinking about just turning it off for clients with this:

forcecvar cl_punkbuster 0

I am wondering if there are any problems with this approach, or strong opinions against doing this. Or if it would work properly for all players. I am aware that this could be controversial, and I want to check first.

Also, do the forcecvars have to be in the default.cfg? Can they just be put in the silent.cfg instead? I am wondering if the forcecvars would be run on every player if they are loaded once when the server starts, instead of running them over and over at the beginning of every map (and causing some players to get disconnected).

Thanks

Hello

On my server, I also have "forcecvar cl_punkbuster 0" and it causes no problem.

I can play on it, disconnect, and reconnect to a PBenabled'server with success.

So according to me, it works properly.

V55

PS: And yes, you need to put it in default.cfg, to take effect at each map beginning for new present players.

Edited by blackops

• Management
The forcecvar cl_punkbuster 0 has no effect. In silent 0.3.0 we added a specific system (g_punkbuster) that started the client punkbuster if it was not on. However, it is not possible to shut the punkbuster after the client has connected to the server. Not even manually. This is something worht investigating but for now, I don't know how it could work.