• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam Sign In
  • Create Account
Photo

Turning off PB for clients

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   phantasm

phantasm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
A step in the right direction
Since punkbuster is no longer needed anymore, I would like to disable it for players so they have less lag.

I have been using this in the default.cfg:

forcecvar pb_sleep 500

Now, I am thinking about just turning it off for clients with this:

forcecvar cl_punkbuster 0

I am wondering if there are any problems with this approach, or strong opinions against doing this. Or if it would work properly for all players. I am aware that this could be controversial, and I want to check first.

Also, do the forcecvars have to be in the default.cfg? Can they just be put in the silent.cfg instead? I am wondering if the forcecvars would be run on every player if they are loaded once when the server starts, instead of running them over and over at the beginning of every map (and causing some players to get disconnected).

Thanks

OFFLINE   clan DIABOLIK

clan DIABOLIK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Getting Better
Hello

On my server, I also have "forcecvar cl_punkbuster 0" and it causes no problem.
I can play on it, disconnect, and reconnect to a PBenabled'server with success.
So according to me, it works properly.

V55

PS: And yes, you need to put it in default.cfg, to take effect at each map beginning for new present players.

Edited by blackops, 10 December 2011 - 11:40 AM.

OFFLINE   gaoesa

gaoesa

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPip
  • 3807 posts
On the road to fame
  • LocationFinland
The forcecvar cl_punkbuster 0 has no effect. In silent 0.3.0 we added a specific system (g_punkbuster) that started the client punkbuster if it was not on. However, it is not possible to shut the punkbuster after the client has connected to the server. Not even manually. This is something worht investigating but for now, I don't know how it could work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users