Few suggestions

ShaDoW

Hello,

I have a few suggestions for this nice mod

1st: commands !levlist, !levinfo, !levedit, !levdelete etc

I miss these commands in the mod, So can we edit easy the adminlevels and watch the list of the adminlevels.

2nd: The announcement firstheadshot

It is just a announce like firstblood, I know it isn't really important but it is just nice to have on server. Few other mods (enhmod and nitmod) are using it also

Optional (maybe bitflagged) please, I hate both the 1st blood and the 1st headshot announcements, silly and useless. Now the other suggestion about the admin system commands for the levels is very good, actually I think the absence of those commands should be considered a flaw. Didn't get what it has to do with using RCON like Chuckun answered. The whole point of the admin system is err, to be able to admin stuff after being identified by the server according to what's defined in the levels and user databases, independently of RCON authentication.

The [>NF<] Server is running Jaymod+Enhanced mod right now, but I'm considering switching to another mod (silEnT or N!tmod). silEnT is looking like the best option because I really hated what the N!tmod devs did to the flamethrower's flames model and animation, and their implementation of trip mines use... laser beams!?!?! Did that even exist in WW2? On the other hand, they claim to have eliminated the MAX_GAMESTATE_CHARS problem, which for servers with huge rotations like mine is a godsend (if it does work). Also, poison canisters and poison mines are a great addition to the game which even an ET purist like me can appreciate. Oh, and add another vote in favor of the molotovs.

Edited by Pedro-NF

Optional (maybe bitflagged) please, I hate both the 1st blood and the 1st headshot announcements, silly and useless. Now the other suggestion about the admin system commands for the levels is very good, actually I think the absence of those commands should be considered a flaw. Didn't get what it has to do with using RCON like Chuckun answered. The whole point of the admin system is err, to be able to admin stuff after being identified by the server according to what's defined in the levels and user databases, independently of RCON authentication.

The [>NF<] Server is running Jaymod+Enhanced mod right now, but I'm considering switching to another mod (silEnT or N!tmod). silEnT is looking like the best option because I really hated what the N!tmod devs did to the flamethrower's flames model and animation, and their implementation of trip mines use... laser beams!?!?! Did that even exist in WW2? On the other hand, they claim to have eliminated the MAX_GAMESTATE_CHARS problem, which for servers with huge rotations like mine is a godsend (if it does work). Also, poison canisters and poison mines are a great addition to the game which even an ET purist like me can appreciate. Oh, and add another vote in favor of the molotovs.

well you can have in silent also laster mines by default, which Ive unliked a lot also, so I just turned em off, there is a easy command to turn em off, I had jaymod too, and switched to silent mod cuz, jaymod is a dead mod, silent mod got so many fixes and improvments its just wonderfull to have it, admins got so much less work to do and so on, recommending u silent mod, u wont make a wrong decission with it.

well you can have in silent also laster mines by default, which Ive unliked a lot also, so I just turned em off, there is a easy command to turn em off, I had jaymod too, and switched to silent mod cuz, jaymod is a dead mod, silent mod got so many fixes and improvments its just wonderfull to have it, admins got so much less work to do and so on, recommending u silent mod, u wont make a wrong decission with it.

What I meant was, I like the silEnT mod trip mines, because they have real wire attached to them, the way I believe existed in WW2. I was criticizing N!tmod's trip mines, which instead of wires have laser beams, which seems unrealistic in a WW2 game. Also, they don't need to be planted by the engineer with the pliers like all mines, the way I think it should be (like silEnT made it), you just stick them to a wall and they are instantly active.

Basically, I'm in favor of any additions to ET as long as they don't deface the original design and make sense within the game's WW2 context.

Back to the admin commands, I noticed you can't use abbreviations for them (like !li for !list), that's very helpful.

Edited by Pedro-NF

• Management

The admin commands are in serious consideration, as always. I wouldn't call missing the levedit or levdelete flaws because the admin levels are supposed to be configured through the config file. However, the levlist and levinfo I can see they would be usefull. The abbreviated commands would require rewriting the whole admin command system and that we won't do at least yet.

Thanks for the nice compliments.

The admin commands are in serious consideration, as always. I wouldn't call missing the levedit or levdelete flaws because the admin levels are supposed to be configured through the config file. However, the levlist and levinfo I can see they would be usefull. The abbreviated commands would require rewriting the whole admin command system and that we won't do at least yet.

Thanks for the nice compliments.

100% agreed. The ones I find essential are levlist and levinfo, the other two I've never used in Jaymod - I always edit the levels via the config files. As to the abbreviated commands, they're useful but if the way the admin system was written makes them too hard to implement, by all means concentrate on whatever your priorities are now, I don't mind typing the whole commands. :)

Edited by Pedro-NF

100% agreed. The ones I find essential are levlist and levinfo, the other two I've never used in Jaymod - I always edit the levels via the config files. As to the abbreviated commands, they're useful but if the way the admin system was written makes them too hard to implement, by all means concentrate on whatever your priorities are now, I don't mind typing the whole commands. :)

agreed

OK, here's the last nail on N!tmod's coffin: if you change any setting via the menus, it REWRITES your whole autoexec.cfg file with a dump of all your settings (like the etconfig.cfg file all mods create in the player's profile directory). So, if you have an organized autoexec.cfg file (like most people have or should have), with settings grouped by type, with comments, etc., it's all GONE if you change anything via the menus. I don't want to ever touch that #*@*# again and if we switch mods, silEnT will be the new mod. Sorry if I've gone off topic here, but this info might help other admins who, like me, might be trying to decide what mod to choose.

OK, here's the last nail on N!tmod's coffin: if you change any setting via the menus, it REWRITES your whole autoexec.cfg file with a dump of all your settings (like the etconfig.cfg file all mods create in the player's profile directory). So, if you have an organized autoexec.cfg file (like most people have or should have), with settings grouped by type, with comments, etc., it's all GONE if you change anything via the menus. I don't want to ever touch that #*@*# again and if we switch mods, silEnT will be the new mod. Sorry if I've gone off topic here, but this info might help other admins who, like me, might be trying to decide what mod to choose.

yeah that sucks, so im glad u picked silent mod after all! :)

We at |ABC| have not missed the abbreviation of commands, having come from Jaymod.

If there are any long commands that you want to use in shortened form you could add it in as a custom command.

Saying that server admins get use to the silent format quickly.