how do bans work on silent?

BECK

• Subscriber

I've had some questions from my clan members about how a ban is enforced in silEnT? We have some potential trouble players and are wondering how effective a ban is going to be on them. We used to pb_ban people, but even that is just an IP ban, right? I recall something about the silent GUID being part of it, but couldn't a player just change their silent GUID?

Thanks for the info.

• Management

On top of the silEnT GUID there is possibility to enforce bans using silent idents. This is controlled by g_identOptions. Also, !subnetban is possible.

Players can of course change their silEnT GUID. The point of the GUID is to be a reliable way to identify players and therefore every player will get the silEnT GUID. The reliability in this case does not mean unspoofable or static in any way, but it means every player will get unique identification string used by the database.

The more serious issues of possible guid spoofing/changing are addressed separately by Admin Level Protection system and with client idents. Admin Level Protection generates authentications for the players if the level they are set to is protected. Client idents are used to recognize if the player has changed their guids and IP addresses and if they are banned. However, this system does not work as a GUID. The ident field is seen in the shrubbot.cfg file. The format and data of the ident may change from version to version and the implementation specifics are hidden from the admins. Using the !finger command admins can see if the ident system is functional for the player.