New level.db

Mii

1)I saw the request about new user.db (http://mygamingtalk....-user-database/), as members said it is for increase the user limits but I think at least you should copy the level.db of jaymod which is more clear than the one of silent (flags are very annoying and acl is more handy). Personnaly I think there are not many big servers, user limit of jaymod is not a problem maybe change user.db like jaymod I don't know...

Moreover, add commands like: !levadd !levedit !levdelete (!levlist and !levinfo already added in the new version 0.5.2)

Make the mod dynamic like jaymod.

2)And I saw the admin.cfg, I don't see what is the utility of this file.

3)And it is idiot last time when I tried the mod I took 1 hour to set my level because with rcon it said me I can't set to a higher level I am (I had to use admin.cfg but !finger don't show the whole guid it was just so exasperating)

4)I think really you must more copy jaymod because it is a mod very easy to use and config (!useredit guid -acl, docs pdf)

5)Maybe make a complete example.cfg with all cvars with little explanations for each of them in several parts with titles.

I just listed almost all positive points of jaymod and it is like that jaymod is still the better mod for me with the facility of use and config and it is not a bad idea to copy it for these points.

Or maybe innovate but please replace flags it is just horrible.

I think just change these points and your mod is just almost perfect (maybe add killcam should be very very cool and make it perfect :P)

PS: sorry it is a tottaly the mess in my topic but I hope you will take count and think about it ;)

• Management

I personally really disliked the online commands to edit user levels. When my server had Jaymod. Also, the flags are easy and a nice way to group the commands for the level. This is of course subjective. But for me it is far easier to edit config file then using online commands with at least 4 parameters. For each command and privilege for each userlevel. I had to expand the levels few times and that was a pain to do.

Maybe there can be some type of commads to help setting up specific commands to a userlevel or check them. But moving completely from config file to online commands is not a possibility because of it's lesser usability and transferability between servers.

The rcon problem you had may have been a bug perhaps or maybe I didn't understand what you said. Rcon is never restricted.

1)I saw the request about new user.db (http://mygamingtalk....-user-database/), as members said it is for increase the user limits but I think at least you should copy the level.db of jaymod which is more clear than the one of silent (flags are very annoying and acl is more handy).

I'm totally against this idea. What about admins that already made their levels' config? Moreover, creating levels for silEnT mod isn't that difficult. Everything is clearly written in docs.

Personnaly I think there are not many big servers, user limit of jaymod is not a problem maybe change user.db like jaymod I don't know...

It really is a problem...

Silent is from the old etpub source code and that is how etpub was set up. Personally I like the jaymod command system, because that was what I learned on first. But the silent system works once you relearn all the flags for each command.

You have to read the shrubbot guide in the server.html document. It is like learning a different language since you already know the jaymod way.

The jaymod use limit is a problem, at ~10,000 players a lot of servers get problems. If you have a decent server you can get that many unique players in a few months or a year. Then there is no easy way to clear out the old users. I tried copying one into excel to remove the older player accounts with a VBA macro, but it didn't work very well. So you end up just keeping it and having occasional bugs, or removing it completely and having angry players. So the silent database is a major improvement over this. Also it is encrypted, so it is harder to be read if someone gets it who should not have it. With jaymod user.db anyone who can download your user.db can read it.

Look the shrubbot.cfg of silent and after look level.db of jaymod, personnaly it is just (a little bit) more clear you don't think lol. Jaymod command stystem is better than silent because it is more 'dynamic' you can directly change privates commands of a player, change command, name for a level and delete level etc ... all of that you can do it INGAME, it is just very handy. Personally I took around 30 minutes to config a jaymod server and few hours to config a silent (and I didn't finished). About the encrypted file, if you don't give a ftp access to unknown people it should not happen. With my team we have two good servers (UcE) with many people and I never saw players complaining about loss of xp due to auto-delete user because the most of the time the players who are auto-deleted don't play anymore.

• Management

Even if you can hack the level.db in Jaymod, it is undocumented and I didn't know this or bothered looking when I had the Jaymod server. This resulted that I had to use lot of cursing for the Jaymod system while expanding the levels in the middle. As I said, we can add some commands that help making quick fixes or checks while playing on the server, but we will not move to the system Jaymod uses because of it's harder usability. Do note that expanding the levels in silEnT only takes one copy paste block with edits, changing the level numbers of the higher levels, looking up few privilege flags and doing !readconfig or waiting for the map to change. All this while the server is running. This takes only fraction of the time it takes to use Jaymod style level editing commands. Also, the initial setup is faster to do this way. I personally don't believe anyone configures their first install of any mod within 30 minutes to the fully usable state and debates of whether it takes or should take 1 or 2 hours are pointless.

There are many advantages we get from the database system we have now.

• Management

You can change commands of a player ingame through !useredit

http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Shrubbot#.21useredit

I suggest you go through silEnT mod command list once:

http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Shrubbot

http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Shrubbot#User_Database_Commands

Just because you never had an issue with XP saving in user.db of jaymod then it doesn't mean issue doesn't exist. I had enough of my fair share with user.db issues but then again we are not here to debate on that. :)

• Management

And about the killcam?

We can look into it but I believe it's less demanded feature. In what sense killcam feature would be helpful. Can you please elaborate?

Also one suggest per topic please so other admins can also post yes/no/feedback for same suggestion. It just helps everyone by keep one topic/suggestion :)

We can look into it but I believe it's less demanded feature. In what sense killcam feature would be helpful. Can you please elaborate?

Also one suggest per topic please so other admins can also post yes/no/feedback for same suggestion. It just helps everyone by keep one topic/suggestion :)

killcam is useless imo...