OPTIONS-SYSTEM- new screen resolutions

Hello

What about adding the new res of today screens in OPTIONS-SYSTEM ?

Like 1920x1080, and others ?

When beginners players test the game, they will be less frustrated if graphical fits to their LCD native res ?

(dealing with r_mode=-1 etc ... is too complicated for a new player)

Bye all

:ph34r:

Edited by clan DIABOLIK

• 2 months later...
  • Management
Implemented for Windows and Linux. Under the silEnT menu, there is a new button to open screen resolutions dialog. In this dialog there are autodetected resolutions that include widescreen resolutions. Indeed, we cannot test this with great many systems, so be aware there could be bugs in this.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to notice that 1.5 years too late, but here is a test :

1/ fresh install of W:ET2.6

2/ no custom cfg, no autoexec, nothing, like a real beginner

3/ launch ET.exe, clik PLAY ONLINE, and I connect to my favorite silEnT server ^^

4/ auto-download of all pk3 OK, click RESOLUTION and I choose the native-one 1920x1080

5/ I quit the game, and re-launch it, re-connect to my server, and the resolution is back to 800x600 !!!  

Does-it mean that a beginner is obliged to re-choose the resolution each time he connects ? Is there a way that silEnT mod forces the saving of the config ?

Thanks !

PS: I use an autoexec.cg with the right r_mode etc ... but a beginner is far-away to know this tip.

• Subscriber

4/ auto-download of all pk3 OK, click RESOLUTION and I choose the native-one 1920x1080

5/ I quit the game, and re-launch it, re-connect to my server, and the resolution is back to 800x600 !!!  

It sounds like your running your ET with nothing added.

You need to load the silent mod to get your silent settings running including your screen resolution set via the silent menu.

You could always cheat if you do not play any other mods ? in properties of your game icon you use to start the game change ET.exe to

ET.exe +set fs_game silent 

this will start your game with silent already loaded and you'll have your screen size back right away with out changing any thing. Remembering that when ET with silent first starts you have black bars down each side of the screen until you join a server.

Edited by JohnDory

No, I think that a beginner is unable to add "+set fs_game silent" in its shortcut.

When I say "beginner", I talk about someone who never played IDsoftware games, even don't know to open the console.

I just want to know if the silEnT team can make a workaround.

But why do you say: You could always cheat if you do not play any other mods ? 

• Management

The problem is indeed that the game loads the etmain by default and the screen mode settings are set from there. Only option to reliably keep settings that I know would be to change the settings in the etmain, but it doesn't sound right to change the settings for other mods from silEnT. Another option could be to force vid_restart, but that might not be what the player wants either.

• Subscriber

When I say "beginner", I talk about someone who never played IDsoftware games, even don't know to open the console.

That is the point of this, it is not a command to use in game, once they have been on a server with silent running on it they have the silent directory on their computer, only then can you make any alterations to the run line in the game icon used for starting the game.

If you use this and normally play nq or etpro this start up is not for you.

Cheating ? it is to do with which mod you play, on our main server it is silent with this startup when the game runs it loads silent mod and in this we have altered the in game main menu to add a servers option that displays all our servers and you just click to join the one you want. If you wanted to do that you would have to alter the in game menu to suit your servers.

What could be easier for someone who doesn't know the game, we have people who do not and wont learn how to do stuff with their PC's they just want to shot, the easier we can make to join our servers the better.

Thanks JohnDory, I agree 100%

@gaoesa: sure, including a vid_restart is not the solution, few players have SSD storage xD

Now:  " it doesn't sound right to change the settings for other mods from silEnT." 

Maybe it can be asked to the community, the few times I play other mods, I always keep my resolution, the native 16/10. Maybe it is the same for other players, you can adjust FOV, mouse-sensibility, etc ... but why changing the resolution ?