Need help with missing functions in the game.

Peter20ghz

Hi.

I am a bit new at this Silent/ET hosting and im not sure if I am in the right place for my questions. If so, please let me know where to go. I know a bit or two about servers and managing them, but that usually other types of applications, the game server stuff is kinda new to me.

I wanted to set up my own local game server for ET at home, mainly so I and my 9 year old daughter can practice before we go out in the real world and shoot at real players. :) And i first started with one of my Linux machines, but i got way to many errors with paths and ownerships of root files so i gave that up and installed it on one of my Win7 machines instead.

It all now runs kinda smooth, no real problems, i have added omnibot 0.82 aswell so we dont have to play only 1 on 1.

But i am missing some functions in the game that i dont know where to activate it.

1. The referee voice and text that declares "Multikill, Doublekill, tripplekill, etc" is not active. If we do a doublekill or tripplekill there is no mentioning about it, we miss that, it is fun to hear. :) Where do i add or activate it?

2. Stats, usually by the end of the game there is stats shoving in the chatbox of longest spree record, mapspree record etc. Its empty now, nothing shows there. we miss that too. :)

3. Active dynamite countdown is missing. If a dynamite is activated, usually u see a countdown timer on the left side of the screen, thats also missing. how do i fix that?

4. Last, not so important and probably totally wrong forum, but i give it a shot. GeoIP, i have activated it in silent.cfg, but it only show ??? on the flag. i have inserted the geoip.csv and dat file in my silent directory, is that not the right place for it? do i need to do anything else for it to function?

This was a long first post, i thank you for reading it. All input is much apreciated.

Best regards

Peter

• Management

1. You need to enable this feature http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Mod_Server_Cvar#g_spreeOptions Additionally since you want to hear sounds, you need extra pk3 with them. http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Sounds There might be some ready made packs somewhere, but I looked from our Downloads section and didn't find any from there.

2. The above options include the end game spree stats. However, there is also g_extraStatistics cvar for more stats. http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Mod_Server_Cvar#g_extraStatistics

3. http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Mod_Server_Cvar#g_dyno not the best name for cvar searching

4. You need to download the GeoIP database. In fact, this database changes a little bit every month. Because of the license, it cannot be included in the download by us, but you can find it from here http://www.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoLiteCountry/ Place the .dat file to the silent directory. If you have done it already, the issue might be that your IP addresses are not in any country range. Might be if you're playing in an internal network behind NAT.

Thank you for the answers.

I have set the spree options to the value 1 but it still does not show anything.

The sounds or text does not apear when it should.

In my silent-config i cant find any line "g_extraStatistics", do i have to create it my self?

Dynamite seems to have been fixed, thanks.

GeoIP doesnt seem to wanna work. It works when i play on other servers, (shows my irish flag) but as i said, its not really important.

Thank you

Best regards

Peter

• Management

The sprees can be disabled in the client as well. You should check the ESC->silEnT->Config->Announcements that they are not disabled client side.

You can add the cvar into the config. For some reason it has been forgotten from the default config.

• Management
The order of settings is not important. All of those cvars are loaded into the engine before the mod starts. Provided that the map command, which launches the mod, is not issued in between. Do you get multikill messages if you set the g_spreeOptions to 5?

Thanks that helped, now that works.

Now its just the anounce sounds left. I found the sound files from some website, but when i add them in to the silent-0.6.1.pk3 file my client cant connect anymore, i get error message in my client saying my server runs a pk3 file with invalid checksum, so i guess i cant just add the soundfiles just like i want, it has to be done in a certain way?

It sounds like you are playing on your local network and the GeoIP won't work with your local IP. This is likely why it works when you play on other servers but not your own.

That sounds like a good explanation to it. It might not be able to sence anything if its no outside connection. Maybe if i were to portforward my gateway to my ET server, and then tested from an outide comp or trough some proxy, then maybe it would show. But as i said, its not really needed.

Thanks

Peter

Thanks that helped, now that works.

Now its just the anounce sounds left. I found the sound files from some website, but when i add them in to the silent-0.6.1.pk3 file my client cant connect anymore, i get error message in my client saying my server runs a pk3 file with invalid checksum, so i guess i cant just add the soundfiles just like i want, it has to be done in a certain way?

You have to make your own custom pk3 file with the announce sounds in the same location they would be in the official silEnT pk3. Just put your custom pk3 in the main silEnT directory and the game will force the clients to download it.

Thanks again

Just to be sure, (and with the risk of coming of as stupid), I will have to create a new extra pk3 file,e.g. called spreesounds.pk3 which i keep in my silent directory?

If so, do i have to and where should i add a search string/path to the soundfile. I would imagine the game will look for the sounds in the silent.0.6.1.pk3 and if its not there how would it now that the sounds are to be found in e.g. spreesounds.pk3? (do i make sence?)

Also, if so, do the soundfiles have to be named as the are called on this site? http://mygamingtalk....p/Silent_Sounds

spree5.wav

spree10.wav

spree15.wav

e.t.c.

Thank you

Peter

Peter, because you run a home server, you'll have to manually copy these pk3 manually to your computers (children's and your's).

And what about trying to set "set dedicated 2" ? You'll have a nice surprise to see people joining you family xD (if your make ports-forward in your router) => and a new story begins ... depending on your network bandwidth, you'll be able to host 5-10 players

Yeahhh, welcome on internet :ph34r:

Thanks again for all input. Im impressed with the quick responses here.

I will load the pk3 in my silent then and see whats gonna happen, will also add the files manually to the laptops.

Just wasnt clear about the naming of the .wav files, did they have to follow the names, 5, 10 etc?

@clan DIABOLIK

i created a ETserverstart.bat with this line

etded +set dedicated 2 +set fs_game silent +exec silent.cfg

Im originally from Sweden and there im used to real fibre optic internet 100/100 Mb/s

Here in Dublin i only have 50/10 but i think it can take some trafic as long as wiffy isnt netflixing at the same time :)

Thanks

Peter

My ip at the moment is 109.255.229.245:27961

Weirdest thing, i can suddenly not connect to the server from my own pc (same pc at the moment) by connecting to 127.0.0.1 or localhost, but if i enter my outside IP i can connect.. strange. Anyway, now flags are shoving as they should when i connect from "outside".

Try if you want, i wont keep it on all evening though, i will need to transfer it to another machine for that.

Thanks

Peter

Yes !!! Your server is well listed in 2.60 masterlist.

But I was rejected because of ~~z_etkey_mjss.pk3. You have to put this file (and future others pk3) on a website (called redirect downloand).

Sorry I am offtopic and for-sure you will have a lot of future questions, but GG for your first server SVENNES-ETHost.

Great Shot !

:ph34r:

(if you saw your flag from outside, it is normal behaviour - as explained JvIasterMind, on 14 November 2012 - 10:12 PM)

Thanks, very good information.

I saw you came in, but disapeared again and i saw some error message passing by quite fast.

I do have some domains that i own and i could probably host the files on one of them.

Maybe should even consider later on to upload the server to one of my domains, might be smarter since as i have it now is with dynamic ip and it might change over time, can be some headache to keep track on.

Anyway, as i stated in the beginning, all feedback is very much appreciated. So off topic or on topic, its all usefull to me, so thanks again.

Regards

Peter

Yeah, i had to do some things so it went down. I will leave it on tomorrow saturday for the whole day starting at 06:00gmt.

If anyone would like to help me try it out its much appreciated. It will only be bots on most likely, but at least to let me know if it works.

Seems like the port is changing so i have forwarded a full range to the same machine. IP is 109.255.229.245

Thank you

Peter