• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam Sign In
  • Create Account
Photo

list of bans

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   gaoesa

gaoesa

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4391 posts
Will become famous
  • LocationFinland

We will not implement global ban lists. There are many reasons for not doing it.

Here are few:

- First of all it needs GUID authentication to prevent GUID spoofing client side. Do note that all GUIDs are spoofable. The way silEnT protect admin leves is separate technique, see g_adminProtection.

- Second, it all needs to be done between the client and the "ban" server to avoid game server influence and admins generating bans for people they don't like. This might also need user consent.

- Third, measures must be taken to ensure the client does not block all or selectively messages to the "ban" server.

- Fourth, even PunkBuster has had problems with intentionally made false bans filling ban lists. This is a typical problem for ban lists when ever people figure out a way to do it.

In other words, it is not practical to implement for it's possible value. For couple binary checksums and few cvars that associate with cheats.

OFFLINE   JvIasterMind

JvIasterMind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
A step in the right direction

I have a couple feature requests that involve the checksums for unauthorized binaries (sort of on topic).

-Could you guys add the checksum to the warning message that displays in admin chat for the unauthorized binary? This will allow admins to instantly ban a player if they notice a checksum that they know is malicious. Today, I had to download our server log and look through it to get the checksum and I instantly recognized it as the wallhack that I listed earlier in this thread.

-Currently, the warning message shows up twice... once during warmup and once during the start of the map. Could you guys make it so it only shows up once for each map instead? It starts to get a little annoying when there is a player that isn't raising any suspicion on the server. Also, I have a bug that goes with this. Sometimes the message is not displayed and then displays the next time the message appears (so it pops up multiple times). I have even had it skip a map completely and then show four times on the next map after warmup finished.

-Another feature request, (especially if you choose to not implement a config file like I suggested in my last post [quoted below]), would be to add a callback in the lua api so server admins can implement their own method for dealing with the unauthorized binaries. I am thinking something along the lines of et_UnauthorizedBinaryDetected( clientNum, checksum ). This may even be a better solution because I imagine that different servers would like to deal with this situation in their own way.

Thanks,

JvIasterMind

I like the idea of a checksum config file! However, I think it would be better to allow admins to input checksums that would instantly ban a player connecting with a known malicious binary, instead of disallowing all unknown binaries (since some have legitimate uses as described by TheSilencerPL). By the way, silEnT does allow you to auto kick any unrecognized binaries similar to how you described in NxAC (minus the config file as far as I know).

OFFLINE   gaoesa

gaoesa

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4391 posts
Will become famous
  • LocationFinland
-Could you guys add the checksum to the warning message that displays in admin chat for the unauthorized binary?

Adding full checksum would make the adminchat harder to read.

Could you guys make it so it only shows up once for each map instead?

This is not possible. The server game reloads after warmup and therefore loses old information.

Sometimes the message is not displayed and then displays the next time the message appears (so it pops up multiple times).

I have never encountered this myself. I don't know what might be causing it. Maybe the player in question does a lot of reconnecting and downloads the maps during warmup?

Adding Lua callback is ok and probably a good addition at the current state of the game. How about notifying in the adminchat more clearly of the known cheat binaries? If they are known to be cheat versions, the Lua callback would not be called?

OFFLINE   JvIasterMind

JvIasterMind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
A step in the right direction
Adding full checksum would make the adminchat harder to read.

This is not possible. The server game reloads after warmup and therefore loses old information.

Fair enough!

I have never encountered this myself. I don't know what might be causing it. Maybe the player in question does a lot of reconnecting and downloads the maps during warmup?

I will keep my eyes open to see if any of those are related, but it happens with multiple players and one of them is a server regular (so I'm pretty sure he's not downloading maps).

Adding Lua callback is ok and probably a good addition at the current state of the game. How about notifying in the adminchat more clearly of the known cheat binaries? If they are known to be cheat versions, the Lua callback would not be called?

The lua callback would be a great addition! I would also love the notification to include info on if it is a known cheat binary, because that will get the cheater off the server much faster than if the checksum needs to be read from the server logs. Still, even with this info, I still think that the lua callback should be called. Maybe add a boolean in the callback if it is a known cheat version so it can optionally be dealt with in a different way from the unknown ones.

Edited by JvIasterMind, 07 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users