PPSH Long Range sound

Zelly

Hello again

When I am being fired at by the ppsh from a long range I do not hear the sound.

I just get knockback/screenshake and my health goes down without any knowledge of where its coming from. (Like the silenced weapons)

Is the ppsh supposed to be like this? If not is it possible for me to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

• Management

When I am being fired at by the ppsh from a long range I do not hear the sound.

I have never experienced this and on this part, the weapons are not different from each others. There is a sound that is played, and the intensity is a calculation on distance. We will need to test if there is something on this. Can you please define what the long range means more accurately, for testing purposes. Two points in a map would work well.

I figured it out it has something to do with that cg_effectDistance I asked for a while ago

I had it set to 0 but at 4000 (default) it makes the sound like it should.

using my lua i got the distance at about 1500 where i stopped hearing the sounds.

Distance on fueldump
post-221-0-80913800-1385584264_thumb.png
post-221-0-37828500-1385584274_thumb.png

EDIT: Forgot to say im not using ET Legacy or any other modified ET.exe

Edited by Zelly

In the description of the client cvar it says its not supposed to affect sound. :lol:

cg_effectDistance Description Players can adjust what is the maximum distance that bullet effects are drawn. This can give slight performance improvement in maps with large open areas by not drawing effects to a distance player can't see them anyway. These effects include trails in the water, splashes, smoke pufs and different impact marks on the surfaces. This setting does not effect the sounds or the tracers. Usage cg_effectDistance [integer] Default 4000

Edited by Zelly

• Management

What is the sound that you don't hear? I was first thought about gun sounds, but those are not behind this cvar. There are some impact sounds. Could mean that the PPSh is not forming proper bullet hit events. If in addition this bug concerns only the PPSh.

Umm I beleive both sounds. If i have it on the normal setting, the ppsh will play an off in the distance sound in the direction the player is shooting me from, and it will it play the bullet impact sound of hitting a player.

If i have cg_effectDistance set to 0 then it will not play the ppsh distance sound and I won't hear the impact sound either. (Though it still shakes my screen and makes me lose health correctly)
I have only noticed it with ppsh so far, but ill try testing some other guns when I get the chance.

I can give the steps to reproduce (From what I can tell cg_effectDistance is the only cvar affecting this)
1. set cg_effectDistance "0"
2. TargetPlayer and ShootingPlayer(With ppsh) stands about 1700 units(Or whatever they are called) apart. (See picture above to see that aproximate distance)
3. ShootingPlayer shoots TargetPlayer with ppsh.
4. Target player should not hear any sounds but it should still shake his screen and lose health.

• Management

I couldn't reproduce the missing gun sound with cg_effectDistance 0. We didn't stand on 1700 units distance, but far enough anyway for the cg_effectDistance 0 to kick in. The bullet impact sounds were missing completely as they are part of the impact effects. But I don't think the impact sounds should be played, despite of the document, if the impact markers are not drawn.

EDIT:

But the sound is indeed little thinner. It could be that it fades away faster because of this. It should impact every weapon though.

• 2 months later...
  • Management

This should be fixed in 0.8.2 in which all the sounds should be played. There is indeed a quiet pushing effect that feels weird when getting hit from far distances. This is caused by not having the impact sounds on yourself on these occations. That was unintended. Thank you for reporting this bug.