• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam Sign In
  • Create Account
Photo

Moving a Server to a New IP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   BECK

BECK

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Getting Better
  • LocationDenver, CO

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knows if it is possible in ET/silEnT to put some sort of notification and redirect on the server, so that players can be directed to a new IP address?   I seem to remember that being possible, like when someone tries to connect, they get a message telling them the IP has changed and they can click a button to go to the new IP address.

Thanks.

OFFLINE   BECK

BECK

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Getting Better
  • LocationDenver, CO

Trying to answer my own question here :)

Could this be done by setting the number of slots to 0, then utilizing these server cvars:

set sv_fullmsg "Server has moved to xx.xx.xx.xx"

or maybe?

set sv_fullmsg "ET://host.to.redirect.to:port"

OFFLINE   Chuckun

Chuckun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
On a distinguished road

If you own both IPs (and will continue to own them), you could just redirect the IP itsself outside of ET?

If not, then your solution sounds pretty good.. I wouldn't use redirect though because then people who may /connect manually via console will rely on it then once it's gone, wont find your server.. (Does anyone still use the serverlist?)

OFFLINE   twiti

twiti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
On a distinguished road

get a domain (~$10y)

OFFLINE   Chuckun

Chuckun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
On a distinguished road

It's a bit late for that, but it would definitely be the best option for future.. Encourage people to use /connect yourdomain.com (or servername.yourdomain.com if you run multiple servers) and then you can change the IP whenever you want and as long as the (sub)domain points to the new IP, they'll go to the new IP :P

OFFLINE   clan DIABOLIK

clan DIABOLIK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Getting Better

Yes Chuckun, but all beginners just know the SERVER LIST, they never understand what is 'open the console and type blabla'.

But OFC you are right man.

OFFLINE   Dzikus

Dzikus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
A step in the right direction

Could this be done by setting the number of slots to 0, then utilizing these server cvars:
set sv_fullmsg "Server has moved to xx.xx.xx.xx"
or maybe?
set sv_fullmsg "ET://host.to.redirect.to:port"

If you have 2.55 client it simply displays a message, but with 2.60b it will try to redirect you.

Try to set your slots to 0 and put this to your server.cfg on your old server

set sv_fullMSG "et://x.x.x.x.:27960"

(X.X.X.X and 27960 are IP/Port of your new server)

If this doesn't work try setting your old server slots to 1 or 2 and fill it with omni-bots to make it full.

Ofc clients need to have set ui_autoredirect 1 in their config.

It should work I guess, if not you should try to contact any of the administrators using redirection (maybe someone will share his script?).

OFFLINE   BECK

BECK

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Getting Better
  • LocationDenver, CO

I have a domain, that will be updated indeed.   I just don't know how favorite servers are saved in the game, in xfire or whatever other clients people use.   I would presume those store things as IPs, but perhaps not.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll post some update in this thread when we do move and share my experiences.

OFFLINE   Chuckun

Chuckun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
On a distinguished road

Yeah I believe it's IPbased.. But back in the day favourites used to delete themselves so I forgot all about that function :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users