Play a sound when you get a PM

Bluemax

First off just want to say I am not a coder so asking this Question might get some backlash but wanted to ask what the process would be to play a sound when anyone gets a PM.

I was reading through all the posts looking for clues to maybe if it was implemented in the Scrubbot or maybe in the server.cfg.

I know I should just RTFM (read the fu**ing manual) but I'm too lazy!

:D

Thanks in Advance!

Bluemax 

• Management

what the process would be to play a sound when anyone gets a PM.

I don't understand this question. Do you mean programmatically or do you want to replace the sound?

but I'm too lazy!

After I understand the question, I will estimate if I feel too lazy to search the answer for you.

Yes, I get a lot of PM's as Server Admin and sometimes I am playing and do not notice all of them unless I scroll through console and it's annoying..I usually just play without level to avoid the PM's 

I was on a Different ET server and someone PM'ed me and a Custom sound played. I was excited about it but to my dismay found out it was a Custom LUA for that clan that handled that process! I was told that if I wanted to have just a Custom sound for PM's it could be done in Scrubbot.

from your Reply:"I don't understand this question. Do you mean programmatically or do you want to replace the sound?"

So, maybe after reading your reply somehow on my clans server I am not hearing a pm sound? and then when I was at someone elses server their custom PM sound file played and shocked me and thought it was somehow a special feature.

Edited by Bluemax

• Management

The sound that is played for private messages is "sound/silent/privatemessage.wav", if you want to replace the mod default with a custom sound. There isn't any cvars to disable the sound from playing, if I remember correctly, so you probably have a custom pack with a silent sound on your server. The sound file is the same for adminchat and for private messages.

Thanks gaoesa!

Yes , and we indeed have a Custom Sound pack @ et4 and you have answered my question! Thanks! 

The sound I heard on the other Server was "You've got Mail" from the Tom Hanks Movie and it was kinda cool when I got the PM...How silly and probably childish that I get excited about the little things at my age!

Haha and thanks again! 

Blu

Update:

one of the Founder's of our Clan saw this post...laughed, and made a custom sound pack in like 5 mins and just added to the /Silent Directory and now it is done, 

So now we have "You've got mail" when there is PM!

Thanks Again,

I will donating some $$$ towards the Silent Mod! Cya!

Blu