• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam Sign In
  • Create Account
Photo

Play a sound when you get a PM

* * * - - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Bluemax

Bluemax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
A step in the right direction
  • LocationWisconsin

First off just want to say I am not a coder so asking this Question might get some backlash but wanted to ask what the process would be to play a sound when anyone gets a PM.

I was reading through all the posts looking for clues to maybe if it was implemented in the Scrubbot or maybe in the server.cfg.

I know I should just RTFM (read the fu**ing manual) but I'm too lazy!

:D

Thanks in Advance!

Bluemax 

OFFLINE   gaoesa

gaoesa

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4391 posts
Will become famous
  • LocationFinland

what the process would be to play a sound when anyone gets a PM.

I don't understand this question. Do you mean programmatically or do you want to replace the sound?

but I'm too lazy!

After I understand the question, I will estimate if I feel too lazy to search the answer for you.

OFFLINE   Bluemax

Bluemax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Yes, I get a lot of PM's as Server Admin and sometimes I am playing and do not notice all of them unless I scroll through console and it's annoying..I usually just play without level to avoid the PM's 

I was on a Different ET server and someone PM'ed me and a Custom sound played. I was excited about it but to my dismay found out it was a Custom LUA for that clan that handled that process! I was told that if I wanted to have just a Custom sound for PM's it could be done in Scrubbot.

from your Reply:"I don't understand this question. Do you mean programmatically or do you want to replace the sound?"

So, maybe after reading your reply somehow on my clans server I am not hearing a pm sound? and then when I was at someone elses server their custom PM sound file played and shocked me and thought it was somehow a special feature.

Edited by Bluemax, 04 May 2014 - 03:03 PM.

OFFLINE   gaoesa

gaoesa

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4391 posts
Will become famous
  • LocationFinland

The sound that is played for private messages is "sound/silent/privatemessage.wav", if you want to replace the mod default with a custom sound. There isn't any cvars to disable the sound from playing, if I remember correctly, so you probably have a custom pack with a silent sound on your server. The sound file is the same for adminchat and for private messages.

OFFLINE   Bluemax

Bluemax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Thanks gaoesa!

Yes , and we indeed have a Custom Sound pack @ et4 and you have answered my question! Thanks! 

The sound I heard on the other Server was "You've got Mail" from the Tom Hanks Movie and it was kinda cool when I got the PM...How silly and probably childish that I get excited about the little things at my age!

Haha and thanks again! 

Blu

OFFLINE   Bluemax

Bluemax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Update:

one of the Founder's of our Clan saw this post...laughed, and made a custom sound pack in like 5 mins and just added to the /Silent Directory and now it is done, 

So now we have "You've got mail" when there is PM!

Thanks Again,

I will donating some $$$ towards the Silent Mod! Cya!

Blu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users