Male/Female Variable Setting

Flyingdutchman

I was wondering if it is possible to add a field in the settings to distinguish whether the player is a male or female. 

Subsequent actions in the game would reflect this.

Example: "Sally blew herself up with a hand grenade" 

We have a few women that play on our server, and it would be nice to give them the option to distinguish whether they are male or female in game. NPR reported this morning that HALF of all gamers are now women: so I feel this is a step in the right direction.

Thoughts?

I was wondering if it is possible to add a field in the settings to distinguish whether the player is a male or female. 

We have a few women that play on our server, and it would be nice to give them the option to distinguish whether they are male or female in game. NPR reported this morning that HALF of all gamers are now women: so I feel this is a step in the right direction.

Thoughts?

"Half of all gamers"' surely wasn't directed towards online multiplayer games. They are including those FB games that girls spend hours playing and inviting you to. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. Either way it's a good idea.

There are different skin packs, some include female models: but the idea here is more for distinction in the logs and text of the game.

I figured it wouldn't take much to add a Gender field in the silent menu or profile settings, which in turn reflects in the correct output in game text/logs. 

figured it wouldn't take much to add a Gender field in the silent menu or profile settings, which in turn reflects in the correct output in game text/logs.

Not much?

Actually On the coding side you'd have to add alot of If/elses on the client and server side to determine that option!

It isn't a setting that is just sitting there waiting to be used although I agree it would be nice to see that.

Sadly though I wouldn't put it in the major list for silent..

I agree, that this isn't high priority: but if it were something that could easily be added, well it would be nice. 

We have some lovely ladies that game nightly at our server: not to mention the WF server which is run & administrated by mostly women... This request is for all of you.

Edited by Flyingdutchman

This may be a bit much but if you post the code that makes this possible I think they can check it out and put it into silent mod.

Its the motivation to code something like this that will be there reason not to but if you provide the code for them then I guess they have a reason to maybe consider it!

Regards,

Edited by Oxyzium

There are different skin packs, some include female models: but the idea here is more for distinction in the logs and text of the game. I figured it wouldn't take much to add a Gender field in the silent menu or profile settings, which in turn reflects in the correct output in game text/logs.

But in the original game there are only male characters and the messages are related to the played character not player gender as far as I know.

What is more, your suggestion will not help in distinction as everybody would be free to choose whatever gender he/she likes so I guess that mostly some weird dudes will choose female gender.

But in the original game there are only male characters and the messages are related to the played character not player gender as far as I know.

What is more, your suggestion will not help in distinction as everybody would be free to choose whatever gender he/she likes so I guess that mostly some weird dudes will choose female gender.

There isn't any active relation being made; the game was just originally made with the default text being of the male tense

Men that pretend to be women have existed long before the internet and will likely continue to do so. Nothing I can do about that.

I think we're all aware that the models in game are men, I'm not disputing that; but there are women that play this game. I just wanted to see if it were possible for the game logs to reflect this. It's a very minor feature request and if it cannot be incorporated in the next version of Silent, this thread could be used to share with others how to make this possible on their server via a workaround/scripting.

Oxyzium: Thanks for the suggestion: I'll dive into the code a bit and see what I find.

There isn't any active relation being made; the game was just originally made with the default text being of the male tense.

Nope, check any modern high-budget FPS game, messages are always related to the game characters' gender, not player gender. This is the convention that developers still follow. Edited by Dragonji

Nope, check any modern high-budget FPS game, messages are always related to the game characters' gender, not player gender. This is the convention that developers still follow.

I guess  my point is, that if you loaded up a skin pack that contained female models: it would still say:

"Flyingdutchman sat on his own grenade"

Zelly: I figured this might be possible via lua, but will need to look into it. Even if this setting were possible only on the server side: it would work for us. We would specify which players are females that way: and this would also remove the occasional male (troll) making out as a female.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Flyingdutchman

• Management

What if it was done differently? What if all of the female related chat messages, notifications were preceded with the pink "|" (pipe) and the male ones with the blue one?

|Flyingdutchman sat on his own grenade"

so the messages would stay the same, only the pipe would be added in the color reflecting the sex the user set in his config.

What if it was done differently? What if all of the female related chat messages, notifications were preceded with the pink "|" (pipe) and the male ones with the blue one?

so the messages would stay the same, only the pipe would be added in the color reflecting the sex the user set in his config.

Edit:

I re-read your idea - I think the obituary his/her is what we're all really after. 

Sally's legs were blown off by her poor panzer shot!

As for game chat indicating player sex: well, it's unneeded imo. 

What is your thinking in terms of code-changes/scripting to make that possible? I feel like if it's possible to distinguish the player sex via chat: then surely the obituary messages could be modified in such a way to reflect player sex. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Flyingdutchman

• 6 months later...
  • Subscriber

Thoughts?

it is an old post but yes the idea is great :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I guess  my point is, that if you loaded up a skin pack that contained female models: it would still say:

"Flyingdutchman sat on his own grenade"

Zelly: I figured this might be possible via lua, but will need to look into it. Even if this setting were possible only on the server side: it would work for us. We would specify which players are females that way: and this would also remove the occasional male (troll) making out as a female.

Thanks for the feedback.

i think the old mod "wegeinmod ", had females skins and voices , sad this mod is buggy

years ago i could convert for ETpub or NQ the wegeinmod skinspack

• 6 years later...
  • Subscriber

I agree, that this isn't high priority: but if it were something that could easily be added, well it would be nice. 

We have some lovely ladies that game nightly at our server: not to mention the WF server which is run & administrated by mostly women... This request is for all of you.

men at ET are way to macho lol :rolleyes: