Customizing of Loading Screen between Maps

Flyingdutchman

I've been all over the support forums looking for a walkthrough for customizing the loading screens on Silent 0.9.0 

Can someone post a basic walkthrough of doing this? This is the most I've found on the wiki relating to it, and it's a little vague.

Specific questions being:

1. Where does the _silent image file go? 
2. What format should it be saved as (jpg/tga/etc)

Thanks in advance!

-FDM

Customizing Loading Screen

Q: How do I customize the loading screen?

A: Starting from silEnT 0.9.0, server admins can customize the loading screen. This is opposed to modifying the global loading screen. These modifications are loaded and used only when connecting to a server that references the custom loading screen.

To convet existing loading screen customizations to silEnT mod, start a local server which references the old file and read logs. The logs will inform all the needed changes for the loading screen. The modification is generally done by adding _silent to the name of the image file.

Edited by Flyingdutchman

This was very easy to do back in the jaymod days :D

I dont know the answer (yet) but here are some pointers ...

arena files: http://magics-territory.com/et/et_info/level_designers_reference/etdocs/arenafile.html

located in "gfx/loading/camp_map.tga" (TGA: 1024x1024 24bit)

you can also get sagethumbs (no not my thumbs lol) for windows which will let you see the files in windows explorer

http://s9.postimg.org/4scniycfj/sagethumbs.jpg

• Subscriber

I'm with Dutchman on this.  I don't understand what that statement about reading the logs means.  I suppose it means if you have already overwritten the main loading screen, you'll get something in the logs about how to change it.  What about for people that have never done this?  Thanks.

dont have newest version my self, but what i'm assuming is your original image files should have _silent added to the end of them

IIRC:  original names are camp_map.tga camp_side.tga progressbar.tga progressbar_back.tga which are located in gfx/loading/files.tga

AFAIK: rename camp_map to camp_map_silent.tga

Applications: Photoshop, or a more user friendly one is GIMP. but if you already have these files modified this shouldn't be needed. just need to rename them.

but don't quote me on this because I don't have test access to 0.9.0.

Edited by Purple

I'm with Dutchman on this.  I don't understand what that statement about reading the logs means.  I suppose it means if you have already overwritten the main loading screen, you'll get something in the logs about how to change it.  What about for people that have never done this?  Thanks.

"IF" the silent mod dev team would be kind enough to give me a copy of it w/o subscription I could make a few quick videos on how-to's in English.

or just wait till official release and I may do them then.

( have a tutorial series for silent mod i just havent finished it all yet. e.g remake of them

) Edited by Purple

Beck,

We figured this out. It isn't very difficult, it just isn't documented anywhere.

1.Create a .pk3 file - in this case; we'll call it IOW.pk3

2.Within the PK3 create a the folders:

gfx\loading

3. Within that loading subfolder, place your modified image for the loading screen. It's basically just a 1024x1024 TGA (saved at 24 or 32 bit only). 

The image file needs to be called:  camp_map.tga

4. Add this PK3 to silent folder on the server.

If that isn't clear enough, you can do this:

/connect etforever.com

If you connect to our server, you will download ~ETF.pk3 which contains the custom loading screen (saved to your silent folder). You can then extract that file and modify the tga within it for IOW. Once done, rename the ~ETF.pk3 to whatever you want, place it in your servers' silent folder, and it should be good to go.

This loading screen change will only be effective on your server: which is good, it's not invasive on the core files of the game. 

Hope this helps: post back if you have any issues.

-FDM

Edited by Flyingdutchman