Intel lists new Sandy Bridge CPUs

hellreturn

• Management

Intel has now added three new high-efficiency, low-power parts to its product catalog. These will supposedly be the new chips for the MacBook Airs due a few weeks from now, according to Apple Insider. The ultra low voltage (ULV) are 17 watts, making them suitable for use in the ultra-thin MacBook Airs. The standard parts used by Apple consume 25-35 watts, making them unusable in the MacBook Air.

The new lineup consists of three new parts. The Core i7-2677M is a dual-core processor that runs at 1.8 GHz, with TurboBoost 2.0 up to 2.9 GHz and a 4 MB cache. The Core i7-2637M is another dual-core part that runs at 1.7 GHz, with boosts up to 2.8 GHz and the standard 4 MB cache. The Core i5-2557M is a dual core part that runs at 1.7 GHz with boosts up to 2.7 GHz and a cache of 3 MB. The prices are 317, 289 and 250 US Dollars, respectively.

Intel sees a huge market for ultra-thin notebooks like Apple's offerings. When the Air was fist released, it was criticized for not being thin enough and giving up too many features. Apple has since made the Air thinner and reduced the price, while adding a Solid State Drive, which supports very fast booting, wake, and program launching. One will have to see what is offered as Apple launches its MacBook Air refresh in the coming weeks.

Click here to view the article