Select Multiple Recipients (PM)

Chuckun

Firstly, I absolutely LOVE the new recipient list feature of the PM UI in 0.4. Well done for that.

I have a suggestion though - the title pretty much says it all.. Would it be possible to implement a way of selecting multiple people from the list?

The only way I can suggest doing that would be to CTRL+Click on several people from the list..

If it's not possible to captcher ctrl like that, then perhaps have it so you must double click people from the list to add to the recipient field.. But if possible, the ctrl+click option is probably the least messy for you guys..

Chuckun

• 1 month later...
No promise necessary :) If it's too much work for such a little thing then being a programmer I can perfectly understand it. Just thought I'd throw it out there since I have no idea what sort of work is involved due to never ever delving into the realms of ET other than playing :P

It may very well be the engine since it was only designed to send to an array of matching players with the defined string in their name.. However, im not sure if a mod could simply do a loop, sending the PM to each player chosen in the list.. As I've said previously, I never delved into ET scripting let alone mod development, so I have no idea about the limitations and/or language it uses :)

Only way I can explain what I mean is in my own made up programming language (upon reflection, it seems to be PHP crossed with jscript) lol

message = var message;
players = array(selectedplayers);
foreach players as player {
  sendpm(player, message);
}

I hope that clearly explains what I mean by looping through selected recipients..

Edited by Chuckun

• 4 months later...
  • Management

Implemented :) Available since: 0.5.2

However there is one limitation to it: server can't have the g_floodprotect cvar enabled or the flood protection cvars have to be tuned up for it. Otherwise the PM will be sent only to one player.

Implemented :) Available since: 0.5.2

Awesome! Thank you!

However there is one limitation to it: server can't have the g_floodprotect cvar enabled or the flood protection cvars have to be tuned up for it. Otherwise the PM will be sent only to one player.

Makes sense.. Perhaps in the future, if the engine allows it, this could be altered by changing how g_floodprotect works.. (ie, checking if it's a PM to multiple people, or a repeated PM to one person).

Great job guys!

yes, we could make the change on the server side, to block too quickly repeated multi message. I haven't thought about that yet though, how to do it :)

I should take a look at etpub source code or something and learn roughly how these things work because I'm a decent PHP programmer so I have the correct mind for programming any language I suppose (in terms of knowing how to approach creating a method or function), that way I could probably help out with these things rather than just throw suggestions at you all the time lol. Essentially youd need to 1 - check if the flood is a PM. 2 - if its a PM, check for the names in each PM array to see if they are the same or varying . 3 - pass it if the names are not duplicates, block it if they are.

Edited by Chuckun

• Management
I forgot to mention that there is another limitation: max 10 slections :) If you think it's not enough, then I can raise it. But it's the restriction to not let people spam too many players and the other thig is who would like to send PM to more than 10 people anyway? If I am wrong in my assumptions, please state your opinion :)

I forgot to mention that there is another limitation: max 10 slections :) If you think it's not enough, then I can raise it. But it's the restriction to not let people spam too many players and the other thig is who would like to send PM to more than 10 people anyway? If I am wrong in my assumptions, please state your opinion :)

Nah that's enough IMO. No need to send PM to everyone on the server lol.

Edited by Chuckun

• Management

OK, the problem with flood protection has been resolved. Multiple Private Messages work now like normal PMs.

There is the new command to send multiple messages:

ml

ml 5 3 4 6 7 1 message

• ml - cmd name
  • 5 - number of recipients
  • 3,4,6,7,1 - recipients ids, have to be numbers - won't work otherwise
  • message - message itself

Awesome! :D For once it'll be easier to use the private message 'window' than the console! Now thats a first! xD (assuming of course that you were able to implement the multi-selection thing I mentioned in my OP anyways :P)

This really is a nifty function though.. Especially if you got visual multi selection working.. I've never seen that within ET.

Keep up the great work guys, really! <3

Edited by Chuckun