Field Ops Doesn't Drop Ammo (Sometimes)

Aciz

Hi, recently I've been getting a strange bug on our server. Sometimes, field ops don't drop ammo when they die, even though server has g_dropAmmo "2". I haven't encountered this myself, but several players have reported this problem. At first I thought it might have something to do with server reaching max entities, but since this happened few days ago on 3v3 game, I highly doubt it's that. The players who have reported this haven't been able to replicate the issue, it appears to be completely random. Sometimes it's persistent for a map, sometimes few maps.  Any idea what might cause this?

Here is a server log from a game on Transmitter, where one of our players reported that no ammo was dropped (censored some sensitive information).

http://pastebin.com/tkFA5AaN

I have neer seen this happen. Are you sure they were not close to a wall or something and the packs went through it? Also, if the body is gibbed to pieces they don't drop ammo.

As I said I haven't seen this happen myself, but I've asked about gibbed bodies, and I've been told that it happens when you shoot someone normally. Also I wouldn't think that you could play a whole map and always kill a filed ops so that the ammo drops inside a wall. I'm gonna ask people to record demo of it happening, to see it myself as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HngfhRmRWw

So here are few examples of this bug. If you want the demos, I can upload them as well.

After seeing these, I thought it might have something to do with fun modes we have on server (botwar, double jump etc) but one player reported this happening on normal game as well (the one from where I posted the server log from at the OP), so I'm guessing that's not be the issue.

Maybe the shooted-guy has made a "play dead" ?

Cannot be since bots dont use playdead :P

Edited by Aciz

• Management

Do they make class switching? That is the only thing that could make sense for this bug at the moment. Also, does this happen only on bots or also on humans?

EDIT:

Please re-check the g_dropAmmo setting. It happened twice in a row in the last clip and it seems very unlikely for that to be random condition.

Do they make class switching? That is the only thing that could make sense for this bug at the moment. Also, does this happen only on bots or also on humans?

EDIT:

Please re-check the g_dropAmmo setting. It happened twice in a row in the last clip and it seems very unlikely for that to be random condition.

Don't know if it happens with human players as well, I'll ask about it. Also need to take a look at the class switching, can't really see it from the demo.

With random condition I meant that we cant figure out when it happens, but when it does, it's persistent for the whole map, doesn't just happen on individual kills.

• Management

Hmm. Do you have Lua scripts running that can change cvars? If it is that consistent, it really starts to sound like a cvar thing. When it happens next time, please use rcon to check the values of g_dropAmmo and g_tossDistance. Those are the only cvars that affect the ammo pack dropping.

Hmm. Do you have Lua scripts running that can change cvars? If it is that consistent, it really starts to sound like a cvar thing. When it happens next time, please use rcon to check the values of g_dropAmmo and g_tossDistance. Those are the only cvars that affect the ammo pack dropping.

Will do that, thanks. Also got confirmation today that the ammo drop happens on real players as well, not just bots. Still unsure about the class change thing.

• 1 month later...

Been a while, but I was finally able to reproduce this bug: It was an issue in our custom vote LUA. Voting sniper, panzer or riflewar changed g_dropammo to "0", but voting back normal game didn't change it back to "2" (which is the value we use). So not a bug with the mod, just a error in our LUA :)