"BOT" back to "0"?

• Management
One problem with "0" ping is that it is not enough to separate bots from players when the g_truePing setting is on. I'm not sure every mod has changed the "BOT" to "0". The "BOT" derives from the ETPub source.

What's the difference between "BOT" title and ping "0"?

The difference is that when a new player joins a server, he wants to think he is on a server full of people. If he hits TAB and sees all "BOT" then he thinks he is being warned. It looks like a problem, or an error message. with "BOT" in bright yellow. Especially if they only play Jaymod where it just says "0".

Some mods even go so far as to add fake ping to the omnibots. ECMOD sets them all to 48-52. but the omnibot developers have asked that people not do this.

• Management
We will not add anything that would fool players thinking they are anything else. I don't understand what you mean by warning. However, if a player would think some bot is a human and he happens to spec him, he would certainly think that player is cheating and noone does anything about it.

We will not add anything that would fool players thinking they are anything else. I don't understand what you mean by warning. However, if a player would think some bot is a human and he happens to spec him, he would certainly think that player is cheating and noone does anything about it.

The newest omnibots are far more human acting, and don't look like players with aimbots anymore, unless the server admin decides to crank them up in difficulty, which is a foolish thing to do.

I think the bright yellow word "BOT" has an ominous look. If it was a different color (plain white), or a smaller font, or not capitalized, it would look better. Bots have an extremely negative connotation, and your BOT reinforces that connotation. It looks like you are trying to warn players there are omnibots here. That is a great way to keep a new server empty. So a server admin either runs no omnibots, and never gets any players at all, or has BOT in giant letters, which looks bad too.

Your mod will be less popular if you make it hard to populate new servers. I like your mod and I would prefer to use it instead of buggy laggy jaymod.

Edited by phantasm

• Management
We can change the look of the text of course. I don't think servers are empty because they have bots. Quite the opposite. However, the "BOT" doesn't need to be yelled. We can't change it to 0 because players sometimes have that as a real ping when the g_trueping is set. I think omnibot aiming looks allways like an aimbot no matter how easy they are. This is good also in my opinion. I have heard it many times players accusing easy omnibots from hacking :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • Management

I made couple tests. Please tell me what you think of these alternatives for the yellow BOT text.

First one with * instead of the BOT.

nobot_1.jpg

NPC stands for Non Player Character

nobot_2.jpg

EDIT:

One more. The bots don't have the ping field at all.

nobot_3.jpg

• Management

One more test now using - in place of the ping. I'm mostly concerned that the players can still easily recognize the bots from the real players. So I would favour the empty or minus sign. Empty because it indicates, that the bot's are run by the server and therefore, they don't have pings. In my opinion the star has a bigger chance of confusion.

nobot_5.jpg

• 1 year later...