TheSilencerPL

Ingame user defined avatars  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this idea?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Would you like us to implemented it?

• yes
    • no

• Management

Hi

We've been discussing among silEnT dev team members one thing for some time and we don't know whether we should implement this thing or not. That's why I start this thread to ask you - players - if you would like that to be implemented.

The idea is to allow players to have avatars that would be displayed in game.

Players/clients would be given possibility to specify an avatar, the img that could be used instead their name in different places, for example in the players list or over player's head, like the fire team icon but personal. Or when the player gets killed also, the players avatar could be used in addition to displayed name.

That's the main concept. Please share your opinions.

Sounds good - I don't think it should ever replace the player's name though, only be an addition..

My only concern is if this would cause even bigger database sizes for largely populated servers.. But of course I'm sure it would be up to the server manager / owner to determine whether or not to use the feature.

How would we chose the image? Would it be an image on the clients machines, where the path to the image is defined by a client-side cvar? Not sure how you'd implement it but it'd be good to know..

All in all it's a nice idea though :) And I think it would be a very popular thing..

Suggestions:

I may suggest having a command to remove avatars, and even a ACL option to allow/disallow avatars per-user. Some people might abuse it, or put hateful imagery up such as swastikas etc, which my clan for example, would not tollerate.

Chuck

• Management

We were thinking of using gravatar for that purpose so that player would only have to define url to the gravatar img. Regarding abusing of the images you are right, some server avatar ban cmd should be available.

The other thing is that avatars would be retrieved and stored client side so there would be no impact on the db size.

Regarding abusing of the images you are right, some server avatar ban cmd should be available.

I think just a flag in admin.db to allow avatars would be fine.. That way you can restrict it to certain level players only, AND just make a command (maybe LUA?) which removes (or adds) that flag from the user specifically - such as !plavatar [player] [1/0].

The other thing is that avatars would be retrieved and stored client side so there would be no impact on the db size.

Ok I hoped that would be the case :)

Edited by Chuckun

• Subscriber
I'd like to see a moch-up of what you think this would look like. I'm concerned that the avatars might add too much extra stuff to the screen that might obscure the game. Could you make a rough screenshot of the game with where you think the avatar's would be visible (size especially)? I think player customization and things like that are generally cool ideas, I'm just not sold on this one yet. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I actually just changed my vote to NO.

As cool as it sounds I don't think stuff like this is a good idea - In my opinion (of course it's just an opinion since it's really not my place to say) SilEnT should be optimised for performance over things like this :)

Edited by Chuckun

I have mixed feelings about it, it sounds like fun but it could be used to run hacks since it will access a client-side file that the server owner doesn't have control over. It would be like running a non-pure server.

Thanks to you guys we are able to make up the decision which is:

we won't implement avatars!

:P

• 10 months later...

The avatars over players's head is useless imo but avatars on players's helmet, medpack, weapons instead of original icons, class levels etc, like in COD:BO are really funny but it's a lot of work with render I guess. To prevent abusing it, the avatars could be selected in such a limbo menu and admins can upload additionals avatars to their servers by pk3 packs.

• 4 months later...

If you do it, I like the idea of providing a standard pack of ones to choose from and allowing admins to supplement, even allow certain shrubbot levels access to certain images etc....

Otherwise -- gonna be a lot of penises running around the map LOL.

Since the thread has been bumped already, I can finally say - this detail by BECK is a great, particularly if you want all clan members to have a clan symbol / logo over them.. If there was this level of control over them I would probably opt-in for the avatar system.