Jaymod-like settings?

Chuckun

I really want to encourage the supercedure of other MODs with silEnT MOD.. Not just because I love silEnT MOD but because it has an active development team and you are actually striving to perfect all functionality and fix any issues raised..

The most important in my opinion is to supercede JAYMOD - Jaybird goes AWOL 99% of the time and support is dismal. The user.db bugs in Jaymod are a nightmare but some people just love jaymod..

So I guess I just want to know if it's possible to create a jaymod experience, through use of SilEnT MOD.. I know the hitboxes etc are very different.. How feasible is it to make a silent server feel just like Jaymod, for those diehard jaymod lovers?

Chuck

I think silEnT is good the way it is. Getting some ideas from other mods is not bad of course but silEnT should follow an own path if you know what I mean.

BTW, it's impossible or almost impossible and time consuming to code a mod similar to Jaymod because of one simple reason - Jaymod is a closed project :)

Edited by Dragon

You misunderstood me..

I am well aware SilEnT experience is better - thats why I refuse to play any other MOD :P But there are people out there who will ONLY play jaymod because they are used to it and cant play with realistic hitboxes etc that you find in etpub / silent / even NQ..

I am not saying to make silent more like Jaymod.. that would be hell.. But it would be a very useful function to be able to tweak certain settings so that it 'feels' similar to jaymod.

And I'm also not saying to recode silent or make another MOD like jaymod (and I know it's closed source or I wouldn't really be making this post 'cause we could fix the bugs ourselves :P) - Just the ability to cater for the die-hard jaymod fans would be good.. because F|A clan for example has 3 SilEnT servers, 1 ETPro Server, 4 Jaymod Servers, 3 NQ servers.. (I may have forgotten some..) - Those who play Jaymod are VERY loyal to jaymod and HATE how any other mod feels.. Simply because jaymod is SO different to others..

So I just want to know if it's possible to tweak settings so that it feels sort of like jaymod in terms of hitboxes etc, so that Jaymod can finally die.

Hitboxes are almost the same in both mods AFAIK but there are obviously other things which determine that the game is very different in silEnT comparing to Jaymod. However, I'm not an expert and I do believe gaoesa or Silencer can say more on this matter.

...so that Jaymod can finally die.

B)

Edited by Dragon

Some players ask me if it is possible to combine jaymod with silent mod. I think they want the molotovs, the poison gas, and the M97 shotguns built into silent mod. As if I could just cut and paste a few files and make it happen. They want the jaymod look on top of silent mod.

• Subscriber
But is this really fixing the problem? If you configure silEnT to feel like Jaymod, what happens when one of those "converts" goes to a real silEnT server? Then they complain about how horrible that server is and how it doesn't feel anything like the silEnT server they just played on. I think this is a can of worms that needs to stay closed. Now you've got two servers who call themselves silEnT, yet have completely different look and feel. I think it deminishes the silEnT brand a bit to "dumb it down" to feel like Jaymod. I appreciate your enthusiasm here, I love silEnT too and pretty much live there (FA's silent servers are awesome, btw ;)). I think people like silEnT the way it feels now. You come to expect a particular mod to have its own feel, and once you are able to over-configure a mod to basically resemble another MOD, the original loses all its character. I mean, why not make silEnT more like ETPro so all those ETPro alpha snobs will have somewhere to play again :P Edited by BECK

Lots of good points Beck.

I like silent the way it is myself. I think it is actually more configurable than jaymod. But most players don't know or care what happens at the admin level, they just want certain weapons. Even changing the font of the game confuses a lot of them. Herd behavior I guess.

Unfortunately for my argument I agree with Beck and the others too.. I really do like how SilEnT feels and have no personal desire to change it, it suits me just perfectly.. I just desperately want to get rid of Jaymod but it's not possible unless there was a way to make silent feel SOMETHING closer to jaymod 'cause we'd end up just shutting the servers cause they'd be dead..

I'd rather just wish for jaybird to actually live up to his promises OR make Jaymod opensource.. It's faulty as hell and doesn't even have safeguards in place for no etkeys.. It's a POS that needs fixing or ditching.

• Subscriber

Yeah, I don't think we'd fool any die-hard Jaymod people if we pull off the "Pepsi Challenge"* of ET MODs ---- only old people like me would get that reference ;)

I don't play Jaymod, and haven't in years - but I'm sure that Jaymod people are equally as devoted to it as we are of silEnT. If there are as many problems with it as you say, I guess they've learned to deal with them. Other than that, we are just stuck with the knowledge that we are playing the best MOD with a great development team that is constantly innovating, fixing and improving. I guess you could always convince the brass at F|A to secretly migrate one Jaymod server over to silEnT over the course of a few months :P

* - Oh, you like this MOD? Guess what -- IT's NOT JAYMOD --- IT'S SILENT!!!!! MUH-HA-HA-HA :D

- silEnT Defender Out :)

• Subscriber

This game has stabilized in recent years - yes, not the same as the glory days of 2004-2007, but thanks to likes of all of us long time players and those developers dedicated to silEnT, ET still has life in her. I still have fun playing this game as often as I can, nothing compares to it. I have never played a game as good or addicting as ET, and never thought I'd be coming up on almost 10 years of faithful devotion to a videogame. But damn, ET is just so good, I can't ever see myself not playing it. Why stop? It never gets stale to me, with thousands of maps to play from - great active MODs like silEnT keeping things fresh, and a great community of friends that I have been gaming with for almost 8 years, not to mention communities such as this with other fine people who love this game as much as I do. :)

LONG LIVE ET!

Edited by BECK

• Subscriber

Much as I like Silent for its innovations, part of the reason its like that is to be different than jaymod, I wont sit here and blast jay for work that turned out surprisingly well.

See, and I came from ETPub - as a long time server admin on an ETPub server, I was really glad to see silEnT pick up the torch and morph that great MOD into what silEnT is. Even though ETPub is coming back, I am now a converted silEnT guy and have no interest in keeping up with ETPub.