Auto-ban problem?

BECK

• Subscriber

So we have a few banned players.   As I go through the shrubbot file to examine them, I notice something curious.  The server did an auto-ban because apparently the player tried a new ID to get around the ban.   I'm glad to see this feature, very nice.  However, I believe the auto-ban might have made a mistake.  I'm going to put in fake information into this thread so that GUIDS, IPS and names are not revealed, but I can PM the actual data to any devs if they need to see it.

Example:

[ban]
name     = PlayerName1
guid     = ABC123
sguid    = 123ABC
ip       =  1.2.3.4   (traces to California)
reason   = Team-killing and Team-bleeding. You've been WARNED!
made     = 02/31/13 22:06:28
expires  = 0
banner   = ME

[ban]
name     = PlayerName2
guid     = XYZ789
sguid    = 789XYZ
ip       =  5.6.7.8   (traces to Canada)
reason   = Team-killing and Team-bleeding. You've been WARNED! (Automated copy of a ban for PB GUID 123, silEnT ID ABC)
made     = 02/31/13 22:06:28
expires  = 0
banner   = ME

Now hopefully this is clear - but PlayerName1 and PlayerName2 are not the same person.  The IP addresses aren't even close to being the same.   PlayerName2 was indeed banned, but we lifted his ban so its not in the files anymore.  He complained he couldn't connect and it was because of the auto-ban that we didn't notice.    But what is weird is --- the 'reason' message and the PB and SIL IDs both go back to the PlayerName1 person who was banned, but the name "PlayerName2" is consistent with the other player who was banned.

Confusing, I know.  But I can send you the relevant portions of the shrubbot in a PM if you want to see the actual data values.

Thanks

EDIT:
I know these are distinct people, because their play time overlaps and they are using different SILGUIDs during the time they played prior to being banned.  So I'm 99% certain this isn't just someone trying to get around the ban.   

Edited by BECK

• Subscriber

You know --- I think I might see something -- related to the 'ident' field that I omitted.  It may have been the same for these two players, probably because I manually added the ban instead of doing !ban in the game.   I'm sure this is related, so you can probably ignore this and close the thread.    I was trying to find a way to ban someone without being in the game so I edited the shrubbot file manually.    So I guess maybe an explanation of what the ident field is for would be helpful.  Thank you.

• Management

Ident field is used to identify players that circumvent bans. The format and data changes from version to version as we see improvements or changes must be made. You can leave this field empty so it won't cause ban copying. Also, in history we have found some cases when this data was not good and caused some innocent players getting banned. However, silEnT will automatically remove such values from bans in new mod versions, if those are known. If these bans are very old and the ident fields were empty, this might be the case on these bans.