Client Screen Capture (Silent Anti-Cheat)

Dzikus

I was wondering... is it possible to implement such a thing to Silent Mod. Guess you remember the times of PBSS popularity.
Here is a small example.
http://www.pbbans.com/pbss_evidence/et/78.47.39.78:27960/242ac7310235d3b9883a8700f322cc1e-56956e46.png

I know this request is a big one, but as long as cheats used in ET are mostly abandoned by their creators, and those few working in Silent Mod aren't immune to new detection techniques you should give it a try. Silent AC detection is getting better in every next mod release but this feature would be a killer one :D

silent AC is great... our stream and pb have no activity after this release when i enabled silent ac....of course will be great to have some kind of pbss...and maybe optional server stream ...anyway silent mod rules..

cheers and silent mod must go on...

I also think this would be a great thing to have, but I can't even begin to imagine the time and cost to implement it. Also I distinctly remember having lag spikes on servers that had pbss enabled. I could tell every time a SS was taken just by the spikes on my lagometer.

I think a good followup question would be, who would be willing to donate to keep a database server running full time to keep this viable.

If this is doable at a reasonable cost of time and money, it would be a fantastic thing to have.

Also I distinctly remember having lag spikes on servers that had pbss enabled. I could tell every time a SS was taken just by the spikes on my lagometer.

As we all know - Punkbuster wasted a way too much resources in its many major functions. I guess it's not impossible to do it better with using some other ideas.

Also consider it as a fact how server hardware looked years ago and how it looks now. Probably this problem will not exist in such a scale when we talk about quality of hosting companies (and their offer) + chance of making something PBSSlike a bit better.

I think a good followup question would be, who would be willing to donate to keep a database server running full time to keep this viable.

IMHO you have a different vision of this than I do. Global screen database would be nice to increase detection on Silent Mod servers (also automated AC bans could be stored globally) but let's take some smaller steps. For the beginning I'd rather see something like shrubbot command !capture <silent_ID> which would do a screenshot of selected player containing some additional information (like guid, ip and of course his nickname). Using this command would result in screenshot stored on the server (specific folder), and they would be named in some order like date+guid.PNG. It's easy to make some sort of a Screen Viewer which could have some basic options to manage them (sorting by days/date, button of delete, maybe a button of BAN with some simple script of adding bans to the server).

If this is doable at a reasonable cost of time and money, it would be a fantastic thing to have.

I agree. However global database mentioned by you should be considered as a different request. Silent AC is a bit too fresh to do it right now imo, but it's not said it's impossible.

PS. Forgive me my english, I hope it's not that bad after few years of not using it.

Edited by Dzikus

This is a great idea.. But I don't even know if this is possible, because the only reason PB was able to take a screen capture of the client's game view was because it was a separate entity installed on the client's machine.. So I'm not sure this would be possible..

If it is at all possible though, I do agree with Dzikus about avoiding the global database at least for now.. This would require a central database that would be in high demand and not at all cheap to run - I doubt the silEnT team receive anything like enough donations to support such a system.

N!tmod's got working SS system. The only downside of this is that the player might notice the screenshot of him has been taken because the game can lag for him during SS sending.

If you are right, I guess there is a possibility to set upload transfer to a smaller amount, so It wont be noticed by players but I'll require some more time for the upload.

@twiti: nice finding. Hope that Silend Mod team will respond this time accepting/rejecting this idea... even if we talk about close future.

• 1 month later...

We just had the same toppic and discussion @ fearless-assassins forum

Here some feedback from our post:

Antichrist

But there could be a possibility of a silEnT AC screenshot. Those guys have done amazing things so far. Why not head over to www.mygamingtalk.com and offer your idea to them and ask if it's possible to do?

TulsaGeoff

That would be great if they could add that into their current anticheat. Especially if they could make it to where an admin could take a SS and have it written to their own harddrive instread of a server like the old PB system worked. It provides 100% indisputable evidence of wall hacks being used.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

...but let's take some smaller steps. For the beginning I'd rather see something like shrubbot command !capture <silent_ID> which would do a screenshot of selected player containing some additional information (like guid, ip and of course his nickname). Using this command would result in screenshot stored on the server (specific folder), and they would be named in some order like date+guid.PNG....

That sounds perfect!

I used PBSS on european servers like GMC-Todeszone and it was a very handy tool!

It would be awesome if you guys could pull this of.

Thanks

redy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it would be a nice feature. Although there are many things that come into play with this. First things first, is this going be built into the client side mod? or is it going to be server side?(guessing it can be done since nitmod did it unless that was client side dunno really).

Second thing is, if they were to make it like PB there could be some conflict here.. Since PB was a i guess 3rd party software that users had to install by hand from there site or with a installer this would require each and every current et player and new ones to go and find it and install it for the sake of playing on the server... Now there are a lot of people who would do this no problem, but there are also people who would rather not even bother with it and just find a server that doesn't require it, or last and foremost they aren't that "smart" to figure out how to install it and would be pestering about it to people. which really isn't a problem either. My main point here is that it would be a over all hassle for a good percentage of players. if it isn't with in the client mod.

• 3 months later...