Moving a Server to a New IP

BECK

• Subscriber

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knows if it is possible in ET/silEnT to put some sort of notification and redirect on the server, so that players can be directed to a new IP address?   I seem to remember that being possible, like when someone tries to connect, they get a message telling them the IP has changed and they can click a button to go to the new IP address.

Thanks.

If you own both IPs (and will continue to own them), you could just redirect the IP itsself outside of ET?

If not, then your solution sounds pretty good.. I wouldn't use redirect though because then people who may /connect manually via console will rely on it then once it's gone, wont find your server.. (Does anyone still use the serverlist?)

Could this be done by setting the number of slots to 0, then utilizing these server cvars:

set sv_fullmsg "Server has moved to xx.xx.xx.xx"

or maybe?

set sv_fullmsg "ET://host.to.redirect.to:port"

If you have 2.55 client it simply displays a message, but with 2.60b it will try to redirect you.

Try to set your slots to 0 and put this to your server.cfg on your old server

set sv_fullMSG "et://x.x.x.x.:27960"

(X.X.X.X and 27960 are IP/Port of your new server)

If this doesn't work try setting your old server slots to 1 or 2 and fill it with omni-bots to make it full.

Ofc clients need to have set ui_autoredirect 1 in their config.

It should work I guess, if not you should try to contact any of the administrators using redirection (maybe someone will share his script?).

• Subscriber

I have a domain, that will be updated indeed.   I just don't know how favorite servers are saved in the game, in xfire or whatever other clients people use.   I would presume those store things as IPs, but perhaps not.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll post some update in this thread when we do move and share my experiences.