What direction would you like to see?

Currently I have had a lot of people ask is there a way to just not include all the features, as there are way too many for what they need.

I have answered this question usually with: Everything can be toggled on and off some where. Whether that be Config.json or disabling commands in Commands.json. There are very few things that are not configurable, or at least able to disable. And if there was ever something I missed (Sometimes I do miss some features because I am so used to them being enabled) just to ask me and I can probably make it able to disable / enable.

However recently a proposed idea would be to make a drag and drop features into a folder like LESM/plugins/

This would also allow people to use my Lua as a sort of API to make their own plugins which I find really cool.

It sounds good, and I really kind of like the idea of it, I just don't know how to approach the idea yet, if it is possible (for me) to do..

This however proposes a problem, instead of having to configure one thing you would then have to configure each individual plugin.

It would also require a sort of rewrite of the entire code, which would probably take some time.

So what do you think should be done? Should I just continue what I am doing?

Zelly,

Cool Idea, but toggling off what you don't need is fine in my book...Rewrite the code? Nah. Unfortunately as much as I personally love this game and playing it..It's time has passed. That is why I am scrambling to make sure I have everything I need to host it myself. 

Just my personal opinion of coarse and opinions vary as a rule......

-Bluemax

I have used and been a fan of your Lua since the beginning, I have seen so much change and have been really enthused with many versions. It has been an amazing journey watching it evolve into what it is today. I personally would like you to stay on the same path but I also know that if something sounds good to you and presents a challenge that you will rise to the occasion and normally this will inspire you, bringing new ideas and creativity to the project. It seems like maybe you should have two versions. A basic version and a advanced version. This would allow all to be happy including yourself. Every one needs to love what they do in order to continue to bring fresh and exciting ideas to the table, You may look at yourself as a tech guy but i see you as a artist. I reccomend people to get out of their comfort zone and try new things.You may be suprised at how much you enjoy them after you come to the realization that you can do it. We are are own worse enemies and most of the time take the path of least resistance.

Thank you both for your input, I talked a little with a etlegacy guy, they too say a rewrite probably wouldn't be worth it. So for now I believe I will keep that idea for a side project if I feel up to it I may start it little by little.

it has passed only 2 days im testing your lua but i can express my little experience since i have builded many clan servers since the very beggining of ET (2003/4) and i really loved your lua. The only thing i can say to you is will be great use something like a config to enable/disable features and it would help old farts like me to have it setup correctly.

Take the exemple of kmod / kmod+.

Like others mods have something like an "cvar" "0" or "1" would be much less complicated to people use it.

Edited by Zer0o0

• 1 month later...

it has passed only 2 days im testing your lua but i can express my little experience since i have builded many clan servers since the very beggining of ET (2003/4) and i really loved your lua. The only thing i can say to you is will be great use something like a config to enable/disable features and it would help old farts like me to have it setup correctly.

Take the exemple of kmod / kmod+.

Like others mods have something like an "cvar" "0" or "1" would be much less complicated to people use it.

These options are there. When you first install LESM it will generate a file called ConfigDefaults.json with settings in them. You will need to rename ConfigDefaults.json to Config.json. Then restart your server the next time it loads up you will now see it has loaded the config without any errors. Now you can go into that config.json file and edit the settings. It's pretty straight forward and if you have any hard times feel free to ask! Hope I helped.

These options are there. When you first install LESM it will generate a file called ConfigDefaults.json with settings in them. You will need to rename ConfigDefaults.json to Config.json. Then restart your server the next time it loads up you will now see it has loaded the config without any errors. Now you can go into that config.json file and edit the settings. It's pretty straight forward and if you have any hard times feel free to ask! Hope I helped.

:D We already sort of handled that in xfire.