To all with test access to 0.9.0

gaoesa

No. There is no problem connecting to 0.9.0 servers. The 0.8.2 is deprecated as soon as we release the 0.9.0.

I'm saying if a server would stick to 0.8.2 would this cause conflicts if so this is quiet a flaw. Not sure about other server owners but we ( my clan ) do pretty intensive testing. Which may leave us at the current build and ditch the AC of it and go with something private.

Edited by Purple

• Management

It is not AC related. There is no "fix" and if admins refuse to update their servers, it will cause issues that are obviously well deserved. It is not a flaw to not support deprecated versions. That is how all software works when there is no plan for maintaining the older versions. You are obviously free to choose what ever mod you desire for your server. If you feel your private mod is better than silEnT, it sounds like there is no problem for your server then.

Not sure if I fully understand, so correct me if I misunderstand.

If I connect to a plain 090 server and then I try to connect to a 082 server, I would get an error? And to fix it I would have to manually delete the dll/so ?

If so I understand you wanting everyone to upgrade but like purple said people are not going to upgrade right away for various reasons.

I also don't recall this being a problem in other mods, in the past(has been a while though).

If this is the case then this puts a lot of unneeded stress on the small amount of remaining players, most people just simply will not understand why they can't play.

I am not talking about supporting an old version am just saying they should still be able to load the old version.

EDIT: a word, a sentence

Edited by Zelly

• Management

Not sure if I fully understand, so correct me if I misunderstand.

If I connect to a plain 090 server and then I try to connect to a 082 server, I would get an error? And to fix it I would have to manually delete the dll/so ?

If so I understand you wanting everyone to upgrade but like purple said people are not going to upgrade right away for various reasons.

I also don't recall this being a problem in other mods, in the past(has been a while though).

If this is the case then this puts a lot of unneeded stress on the small amount of remaining players, most people just simply will not understand why they can't play.

I am not talking about supporting an old version am just saying they should still be able to load the old version.

EDIT: a word, a sentence

This was a side effect for fixing the menu systems. I understand there can be a few days delay before all active servers update and it is unfortunate. However, there is nothing we can do to prevent it and I also think this is made out to be a bigger problem than it is. Just update the server. The players will realize they can connect to 0.9.0 but not to 0.8.2.

I guess, I just think a lot of server operators don't upgrade within few days more like a within a few weeks and the really slow guys within take months some times. Their loss I guess. I personally am not too concerned about it, just a little worried about the smaller servers. :P

guys like Gao posted "After you play on 0.9.0 server, you must remove the client binaries from the silent directory before joining 0.8.2 server."

not a pain to do that lol , and post on your clans sites what to do

With the current state of the game being in a "dying" state when we do get new players who are fresh to the game this could be completely confusing and a pain in the ass to explain to someone with no knowledge on the game or any of its files. I still to do this day have to explain to many of the players on my server how to change settings in their config, not saying I hate doing it, it's just the point of adding more to it.

This was a side effect for fixing the menu systems. I understand there can be a few days delay before all active servers update and it is unfortunate. However, there is nothing we can do to prevent it and I also think this is made out to be a bigger problem than it is. Just update the server. The players will realize they can connect to 0.9.0 but not to 0.8.2.

Fixing the menu system. The menu system really wasn't even a problem tbfh, a simpler solution that many people did and had 0 problems with and are way more user friendly and last time i checked the guys over at ETL dev team even added a cvar for pk3 cleaner to remove the shit. I have a pk3 cleaner my self for my clan which is less then 10 lines of code and could be "open sourced" so there would of been no possibilities of malicious activities. ( ps these shitty menus that really aren't shitty even your own dev uses rofl ) 

It is not AC related. There is no "fix" and if admins refuse to update their servers, it will cause issues that are obviously well deserved. It is not a flaw to not support deprecated versions. That is how all software works when there is no plan for maintaining the older versions. You are obviously free to choose what ever mod you desire for your server. If you feel your private mod is better than silEnT, it sounds like there is no problem for your server then.

That's like saying use windows 10 over windows 7. and I wasn't blaming it AC related just note the way you're taking this mod is just a complete fuck to regular players and server owners around. What other mod has had reverse compatibility problems? This mod started off as a top quality nice mod. Over a year for an update and you ass fuck half of the people and don't even have the courtesy to give them a reach around. 

And excuse my French.

@TheSilencerPL this is exactly what my other post ment. Theres more to it but why even bother just gonna end in a forum ban zzzz.

Edited by Purple

• Management

Purple please stop crying already. There are no game play changes or feature removals between 0.8.2 and 0.9.0. The menus were a huge problem. It is the most complained issue on all ET forums and for a reason. Even ET Legacy added a command to mitigate the problem and you did yourself a small script to mitigate this issue that shouldn't even exist. Only a very few most responsible admins didn't force altered offline menus. Some admins had only a button and some admins did something reasonably clean with a second menu. But many times after visiting a random server there were huge changes to the menus. Things that can't be given a blind eye. Most of them are only intended to trip the players. The worse ones even change the game behavior in various ways. You need to think about it from the player point of view. You have a server you like yourself and some others also, but most players don't like your server. Why should they have to see your crap when they are not playing on your server. Adding command to ET Legacy is a good thing, but it's only cleaning after the fact. It doesn't do anything to fix the problem.

This mod started off as a top quality nice mod. Over a year for an update and you ass fuck half of the people and don't even have the courtesy to give them a reach around.

We are ass fucking an admin who is ass fucking players. It really does start to sound like that is what we are doing. At least on your case. We should have done it years ago to be honest. One of my biggest regrets is that we didn't do anything to the menu problem when we first discussed about these modifications internally several versions ago. Most of the people are the players, not a server admin who seems to think all the players are zombies for his pleasure. You should start thinking about the players first.

@TheSilencerPL this is exactly what my other post ment. Theres more to it but why even bother just gonna end in a forum ban zzzz.

Don't try to kid. It's because you feel trolling gives you most attention and makes you look like an expert of some sort.

I think we can close this thing with you. I believe you will get yourself another mod from now. That is what you already said you would do.

I think we can close this thing with you. I believe you will get yourself another mod from now. That is what you already said you would do.

Don't recall but okay.

Only a very few most responsible admins didn't force altered offline menus

Could you give me a server ip that currently does not have a menu and is active. ( 10 consistent players )

We'll just wait for the public release and see how it goes from there with the constant "errors" that'll be fixed in a year.

Edited by Purple

• Subscriber

dunno why guys argh so much instead to help the silent team who  try his best since years to keep  ET alive and still work on this great mod with AC  when  the others like for nq stopped

Silent team fixed already the FEW bugs we had

Edited by McBeth

@Purple, don't nit-pick, please, don't be ridiculous.

btw, you started it, so let me just remind you:

this is what you asked for and you got the proper answer.

You didn't ask for 0.9.0, so another wrong argument.

W tej wiadomości było "Only a very few most responsible admins didn't force altered offline menus". Alex szukajał swojego własnego serwera, żeby być dokładnym, to są jego słowa, nie moje.
and yeah polish cause i'm a troll.
x)

This story is very complex. I just use ONE button above PLAY ONLYNE, who directly connect to my server, added by a ~~~~~pk3 file.

What does-it mean ? I have to suppress it in order to install 0.9.0 and so loose many regulars ?

And if ever I prefer to keep this button and stay in 0.8.2, I may loose the players who have visited 0.9.0 before ?

So in the 2 cases, I will loose players ?

Is-it a way to kill little servers ?

Google translation makes me mad to understand this thread-forum, possible to have a french explanation ?

Edited by clan DIABOLIK

• Subscriber

This story is very complex. I just use ONE button above PLAY ONLYNE, who directly connect to my server, added by a ~~~~~pk3 file.

What does-it mean ? I have to suppress it in order to install 0.9.0 and so loose many regulars ?

And if ever I prefer to keep this button and stay in 0.8.2, I may loose the players who have visited 0.9.0 before ?

Google translation makes me mad to understand this thread-forum, possible to have a french explanation ?

i will go to your server tomorrow to see what pk3 u use for silent 0.82

(j irai demain sur votre serveur pour voir quels pk3s vous utilisez avec silent 0.82 )

• Management

It's a weird thing to think everyone else but you would be so dumb that they just mindlessly click on any button they are presented. Or that they wouldn't be able to connect to your server without a button. They managed to connect to the server without a button in the first place. Or that players couldn't handle using the server browser. I don't know any game where it is actually required to have modified game menus to get players connect to a community server. So I don't believe it at all if someone claims their server needs a button to the game main menu to get players to join their server. What we can do, is to see if we can make favorited servers more accessible or better known in a future release. In ways like adding "Favorite Server" button to the main menu while on the server. You can also offer regulars a modified menu at your forum, which they can add at their own free will. But this discussion is going in circles and I must ask that we will keep this thread clean for information to those who are testing the new version.

Sorry I don't think anyone from the moderator team speaks french so there can't be a french translation in this thread.

• Management

In my opinion the problem is in the admin's mind only. They worked on their menus so hard, they look so stunning they would do anything to keep them :) Most of the problem is of that nature.

As a matter of fact I am always pissed off when I connect to some server just to check something or whatever and I have some shit around when I disconnect. I am forced to search for the pk3 file just to remove it so I don't see that shit anymore.

This is how I connect to my favorite servers:

- on linux: I create a bunch of scripts with meaningful names that run et and connect to the servers and I place them on the PATH, I could do it better, but I don't care, it's simple enough.

- on windows: I use the app written by gaoesa,

@gaoesa, you could share the link if people don't know it yet.

I've tried to connect to this server : POLSKI ETMONSTER XPS @ Zabijaka.pl   80.72.37.11:27962 (It runs the 0.9.0 you are testing.)

All was OK, BUT when I stop and relaunch my ET, the main screen is modified, and when I open console, the console is square yellow and square black ... (like when textures are missing)

The good new is I can go back on 0.8.2 without error message (except I need to go to CONTROLS to re-assigne MOUSE1 for ATTACK, strange...)

• Subscriber

i been on this Polski server .... 18 custom pk3 to downlaod  :huh: , yes the main screen is modified  but i dont had these problems square yellow and black

and @ TheSilencerPL i think a lil menu to can have the web site and the servers rules and to can connect to the server is way enough in my opinion

but i am an old school ET gamer

and yes will be cool @gaoesa, you could share the link if people don't know it yet.

but most of the times i use qtracker     http://www.qtracker.com/ this program is free and easy to can manage your server with it

and still use just to can connect with an other ET folder :ASE

Edited by McBeth

Purple please stop crying already. There are no game play changes or feature removals between 0.8.2 and 0.9.0. The menus were a huge problem. It is the most complained issue on all ET forums and for a reason. Even ET Legacy added a command to mitigate the problem and you did yourself a small script to mitigate this issue that shouldn't even exist. 

In my opinion the problem is in the admin's mind only. They worked on their menus so hard, they look so stunning they would do anything to keep them :) Most of the problem is of that nature.

As a matter of fact I am always pissed off when I connect to some server just to check something or whatever and I have some shit around when I disconnect. I am forced to search for the pk3 file just to remove it so I don't see that shit anymore.

This is how I connect to my favorite servers:

- on linux: I create a bunch of scripts with meaningful names that run et and connect to the servers and I place them on the PATH, I could do it better, but I don't care, it's simple enough.

- on windows: I use the app written by gaoesa,

@gaoesa, you could share the link if people don't know it yet.

That's interesting to read considering he just said they shouldn't exist but he has one himself rofl, and now it's being asked for WOW. That's just beautiful.