About LUA support

Pedro-NF

I run my own machine (not the server's) on XP Pro 64-bit, and found that the dll file from the silEnT mod and the N!tmod releases won't run on XP 64-bit. The mods won't load the LUA dll and I get the same error message when starting the server as if it were not there - "ERROR: BG_IndexForString: unknown token 'PPSH': (animations/scripts/human_base.script, line 22)" - and then the server shuts itself down.

I tested it on one of my XP 32-bit virtual machines with VMWare and it worked fine. Never touched (and never will) VistaTrash or 7Garbage, but I'm pretty sure this is a 64-bit incompatible code issue common to all 64-bit versions of Windows. Can't say if it happens on 64-bit Linux either.

Assuming that eventually many game server hosts might move to 64-bit OS's, maybe someone should compile a 64-bit friendly version of the dll (and of an .so file, if that also happens on Linux).

• Management

Looks like the right dll ((qagame.mp.i386.so)) is not loaded, becasue it doesn't recognize the token from the script

ERROR: BG_IndexForString: unknown token 'PPSH': (animations/scripts/human_base.script, line 22)" - and then the server shuts itself down

Maybe you still have some other (not silEnT one) on the server?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management
Because my old laptop broke and now I have a new one with 64 bit Windows 7, I can confirm that the dedicated server runs correctly with current Lua libraries. The most common problem with the Lua is that lua5.1.dll is not placed to the correct search path. Try first placing it next to the etded.exe and if that doesn't work, try to find out what is the fs_homepath and place the lua dll there. That should work with the silEnT.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the feedback. All files are in their correct places. When I started the server from a XP Pro 32-bit VMWare virtual machine, I didn't even copy the files over to its virtual drive, I ran it directly from my actual machine (XP Pro 64 install) through a shared folder, and the server started OK. Since gaoesa said he could start the server from a W7 64-bit machine, I created a virtual machine with W7 Ultimate 64-bit and confirmed that the server starts fine from it. The issue seems limited to XP Pro 64 - W7 64 probably loads the necessary 32-bit libraries, while XP 64 doesn't.

• 1 month later...

Just tried troubleshooting the server installation with our server host and we encountered this same problem. The server is running windows server 2003 64 bit and we are getting the same bg_ error message. We tried both silEnT 0.4.0 and 0.5.0.

Switching the server OS probably won't happen for some time, so any chance this issue can be looked into again? Any other information that could be helpful?

• Management
Make sure you are using the 32 bit Lua library provided in the silent.zip. Also make sure you are loading the library from the ET working directory, usually the one where etded.exe is, and not from any system directories. Just in case there are incompatible libraries installed into the system. Also make sure you have only one client pk3 file in the silent folder.