Server using: silEnT vs Jaymod

Dragonji

Hi there.

I'm thinking about moving my clan's server from Jaymod to silEnT and I'm almost sure that silEnT would be much better, but I have one question. What are the differences between these 2 mods in using server's CPU & RAM?

It's important for me because from my experience I can say that Jaymod + ServerFacade + 8 bots takes way too much CPU's power...

• Management

RAM/CPU usage increases as player count increases.

See below screenshot for jaymod vs silent. 8 vs 8 bots.

16 vs 16 bots.png

After 2-4 secs.

8 vs 8 bots.png

One with PID 876 is silent mod and another one jaymod.

In windows RAM usage is less for silent but for CPU usage, i don't have exact tools to monitor it. It's always around 0-2% of CPU for both. Well I have Quad Core Xeon with HT and 2.8Ghz CPU, so CPU usage will always remain low for me.

I/O read/write also depends on the type of log settings admin is using.

I am sure above stats would be much different for Linux. For Linux, I can't say much because my 'hardcore' server is hosted with gs.com so I can't set up test environment for it.

• Management

This is how it looks at my linux. The same map, 8 bots:

jaymod etded.x86:

mem: VIRT 161m RES 96m 3.3%

CPU: avg 10%

silEnT etded.x86:

mem: VIRT 171m RES 113m 3.8%

CPU: avg 11%

But I must say that I used default jaymod settings and customized silEnT so it might have influenced the results.

EDIT1:

Besides we have the new UI now, so it surely impacts mem usage slightly.

Side by side, I think jaymod uses more resources than silent, I know my ping was lower on silent than on jaymod when using the same exact server and maps, just switching the mod from one to the other. But that was on silent-0.3.3 versus jaymod-2.2.0, not sure about silent-0.4.0.

Yeah dragon lots of people are thinking about switching from Jaymod to Silent now. You can set Silent to accept players without etkeys, and Jaymod won't accept new players without keys. They just can't get in at all. So Jaymod is over unless someone releases their own custom no-etkey code.

I had a friend email Redsector last week (in fluent German lol) and asked him to release his new "experimental" enhmod that he had mentioned on his website. It's supposed to use hardware-based guids instead of pb etkeys. He didn't write him back, so I don't think he cares.

So yeah, welcome to the future lol.

• Management

I had a friend email Redsector last week (in fluent German lol) and asked him to release his new "experimental" enhmod that he had mentioned on his website. It's supposed to use hardware-based guids instead of pb etkeys. He didn't write him back, so I don't think he cares.

So yeah, welcome to the future lol.

I have that one since last 4-5 months but issue with that one is it crashes with omni bot and I don't think that version supports OS X at present but hardware keys works perfectly well for windows. I tested on more then 50+ players. Only issue was server crashing every few hours with omni bots. Hardware key was not used to store XP but for banning cheaters.

He is nice and helpful person. Wait for couple of days and he will reply. He always replied to me.

• Management

Have you considered making this available? Otherwise there will be ~500 servers out there kicking new players.

I am not quite sure who else requested besides me but I was the one who requested redsector to add hardware ban system to deal with same old dynamic IP changer cheaters and it was strictly mentioned in his email, for 'private' purpose only and it's mentioned same on his website.

I am not going to break anyone trust and make it public. More or less, even in that build it has no GUID protection so it will still kick players having no GUID.

• 2 weeks later...