Enemy detector(idea)

s1a

I just want to precise that this is an idea and would like to apologize if someone doesn't like it.

While I play the game on the defending team, I usually end up having to cycle through the same places. By example, in et_beach_invasion where once you are at the top, you have to defend both sides. Another example would be braundorf where you have to cover the east and west side on top of main. Adlernest is another example where if you don't camp at the objective, you have to cycle everywhere or have full confidence in your team. I basically end up camping in every objective spot and have less fun. Some could say, just go out and play the game if you don't enjoy it. However, I prefer to win than to kill.

My idea came from some less skilled players that I use as "decoy". Even though that could sound harsh, they actually make us win the map. When I know I have those kind of players having fun next to the objective and that I see they will stay there. I count on them to be the "decoy". I closely watch the kills while protecting another side and as soon as my "decoy" dies, I rage back to the objective. The idea also came from one of the popular hacks on ET. I remember that one where I had a view of where my mortar would land. It would give me a "camera" of the spot on top of my game. Maybe that one got updated and now has my idea incorporated. It's been a while since I tried the newest hacks on a priv server.

Now the idea:

Having some sort of destructible enemy detector that could be a camera on top of the ET view. Since this wouldn't be WW2 like, what could be possible is a sensor. As soon as it sees you, it starts an "alert" until you turn it off. It could be like in RTCW where as soon as the enemy sees you, it starts an alarm. Each time it spots an enemy, it rings again until it gets shut off.

The tool should be destructible from a distance also alerting the owner of the tool.

Let me know what you think of it. What part you think is possible or not. Also if you like the idea or not at all.

• Management
The only thing I could think of right now as the implementation of your proposal is to have something similar to the tripmine. Something with wire that would alarm if someone crosses it. It could be disarmed (no alarm then) or shot, destroyed (alarm would start). I don't think there were motion detectors in WW2 times that's why I proposed something with the wire.

Hi s1a glad to see you are here. You start a lua mod section here, I would love to pick that genius brain of yours.

Neat idea, sure, but how would this be much different than just having a second computer sitting next to you in spectator mode watching the game? I think players would quickly abuse it actually, to watch the other team, or see right ahead of them when they are approaching the enemy. Unless you force it to point at a specific area.

Would be useful if you were an admin trying to watch other players' behavior, without having to be just spectator all the time.

Just my thought.

What SilencerPL said is more what I had in mind.

The camera is too advanced for the game. I also agree with you that the sensor detector might be too early also. A trip mine with a somewhat invisible wire would be better. I would say they used to (in WW2) put something like a fishing rope to do that, but this is from a movie so I don't know if it's true at all.

@Phantas, putting a computer in spec and looking at it is cheating and not really my idea since the way I was seeing it is to have that "camera" sitting in the same spot all the time. You can only see that point of view and if you want to move it, you have to destroy and replant it.

Think of it more like a landmine or tripmine where you get the warning when it hits someone. Then you run back where you know you planted it to finish him off or defend.

This is just an idea since in this mod we seem to bring new guns (ppsh), new tools (trip mines). Then why not a new detector tool. However, will that get ever used... I don't know for the others but I would at some extend if it would assure me to let me know if there was a detection.

But then you have to be an engineer to do that and also, it's easily noticeable which breaks the "detector" category. I was more thinking of something more "invisible" in term of where they step but that you can still destroy. I'm thinking of it like a camera but without giving the output. Like a detector on top of your garage that as soon as you are close, it lights up so you can see. However, from a distance, you can destroy it.

So like a tripmine, usable by all the classes, not doing any damage when you pass next to it but just a sound. If you pass next to it, it stays there and alert the "planter". However, the beam has to be "bigger" so it triggers more easily and has to be invisible like a fishing rope.

I know it sounds pretty lame, but it could be useful in the cases I mentioned.

Destroying the sensor shouldn't trip it (unless its a clearly visible sensor), as there needs to be some way past it, and I think the tool should just be limited to covert ops because if it's jplaced on the path to an objective, it is literally a dynamite planted warning or an objective about to be stolen, 5 seconds before, so you know where the enemy is going to be /coming from. That is way to powerful for a soldier, heavy weapons would anialate whoevers trying to do the objective, engineers will have an advanced warning to the 30 seconds dynamite planted warning, field ops will be able to put an advanced artillery or airstrike and catch the person out / stall them so they lose the map, medics are OP already, and covert ops will be able to get into a good sniping position and just pick them off as they come out with the objective

1. Perhaps if the area of effect was visible, or

2. the mine was clearly visible and was only tripped when someone moved through it faster than walking speed, so people could walk / crouch ./ prone through it, or

3. it has a delayed alarm effect for like 5 extra seconds, to whoever layed it or,

4. perhaps if it was an alarm that just rang so anyone in near proximity could hear it - until it was defused or rang for like 5-10 seconds and then stops, or

5. perhaps a teamwork need to arm it, so that a soldier would lay it down, but would require an engineer to arm it, or

6. perhaps unlike mines, when the player dies, the sensor dies, or

7. a minimum distance limit away from friendly objectives - like dynamites, but a much larger distance or

8. have it triggered by team mates also, so whoever it alerts wouldn't be able to tell the difference or

9. perhaps a land mine with a larger trigger radius, but does no damage, and starts rininging (or whatever it does) from the moment is triggered to when it is defused, or lasts 5-10 seconds

10. and I think it should be a radial beam rather than a straight line beam, but not reach the other wall - if it was a wall mine