Custom Mod Request

phantasm

I have been running servers for a couple years and I was wondering if I could "order" a custom ET mod from a developer here. I love ET, have been playing on and off since it came out in May 2003, but my free time and IT expertise is limited (I'm not a computer programmer by trade). For me it is more convenient to just pay someone to set things up the way I would like, than to re-invent the wheel myself every time I would like to implement a feature or change a setting. When I need my car fixed I do not buy an auto shop and spend six months studying transmissions.

I'm aware that most ET players and admins have little money, since it is a free game that attracts people with limited funds. I often encounter this mindset that ET is not worth investing time or money in, because it is a free game and the players tend to be poor. I recently has an experience where a server host was assuming I was not even going to pay them for money due. I think this "ET is worthless" attitude is counter-productive to keeping this great game alive for another nine years.

With that in mind, if anyone would like to make a mod for me, or even just act as a paid consultant to assist with various problems I find difficult to solve, please contact me here on the forum. Thanks!

What I am thinking of some kind of simplification of ET so it will run on any operating system and without needing layers of patches. I have been thinking about this for a while but recent complaints from players have really drilled it home to me just how dysfunctional it is for average people just trying to play the game.

I have servers running with the Redsector 2.55/2.60 dual-master list patch, and I would love to see this just built into a mod as well. It shouldn't be an obscure patch that 95% of server admins don't know about, it should just be part of a mod. I don't know enough about it, I read the Redsector webpage about it and it sounds like it is a ptch to be run on a 2.55 server, and I am wondering if there is a better way to do it. And if this could then be built into a mod.

Another thing I would like to see built into a mod is the server facade feature, so admins could easily reroute incoming players to other servers. Some clans use this to have dozens of virtual servers all pointing to one "real" server, and with >1000 ET servers, most of them dead empty, it would be nice to allow admins to just have this ability if they want to run virtual box on a server and make some facades to get more traffic. Otherwise you can have the nicest server in the world, on a high-end expensive box, and it will still stay mostly empty. I realize it is controversial, and I have not done it myself, but as long as it is allowed then why not make it easier for people to do it. Otherwise they should block the virtuals and make a rule against it. I would like to have server facade just built into a mod.

Also I would like to see something like enhanced mod, only it needs to be better, something that doesn't require adding ten files and replacing the qagame_mp_x86.dll with enhmod_qagame_mp_x86.dll (or the .so if using linux of course). I like what Redsector did, I respect it, but it would be so much more efficient to just have it built into a mod so that server admins could modify weapons and change ammo as they want. Maybe this could just be written into the server config so admins could add ammo to whichever weapon they want more easily.

Another thing I would like to do is be able to modify the rate of fire. You can do this with jaymod, there is a config setting for it, as well as tools from Redsector that allow the binaries to be modified. But in silent you cannot do it (I know you probably could do it in lua, but I tried one but it did not work). It should just be a server config setting that would allow the admin to set it to whatever they want, like 900 shots per minute instead of 600 (the real thompson machine gun shot much faster than the one in ET for example).

Another thing I would like to "fix" is the antirush. There is a Redsector antirush feature in enhanced mod, but it would be better to be able to assign a cvar that could be assigned for each map in a mapconfig file instead. Getting away from all the Redsector stuff would be great for reducing the complexity of the game.

Obviously this is a lot of work, so it is more of a wishlist to see what is possible.

What I am thinking of some kind of simplification of ET so it will run on any operating system and without needing layers of patches. I have been thinking about this for a while but recent complaints from players have really drilled it home to me just how dysfunctional it is for average people just trying to play the game.

Sorry but I do not understand this point. Do you mean 2.55/2.60b compatibility?

I have servers running with the Redsector 2.55/2.60 dual-master list patch, and I would love to see this just built into a mod as well. It shouldn't be an obscure patch that 95% of server admins don't know about, it should just be part of a mod. I don't know enough about it, I read the Redsector webpage about it and it sounds like it is a ptch to be run on a 2.55 server, and I am wondering if there is a better way to do it. And if this could then be built into a mod.

Another thing I would like to see built into a mod is the server facade feature, so admins could easily reroute incoming players to other servers. Some clans use this to have dozens of virtual servers all pointing to one "real" server, and with >1000 ET servers, most of them dead empty, it would be nice to allow admins to just have this ability if they want to run virtual box on a server and make some facades to get more traffic. Otherwise you can have the nicest server in the world, on a high-end expensive box, and it will still stay mostly empty. I realize it is controversial, and I have not done it myself, but as long as it is allowed then why not make it easier for people to do it. Otherwise they should block the virtuals and make a rule against it. I would like to have server facade just built into a mod.

I'm afraid these 2 features can only be done by modifying the engine itself (etded(.x86/.exe)). You can contact Sol or Paul to get more info about these two.

I could give a list of bugs users have reported to me, not just the 2.55/2.60 but many others.

I guess I am just writing out of frustration, please disregard this thread.

(p.s. regarding server hosts complaining about ET I am not talking about dedicatedhosting.com, but a prior host who had a very negative view of ET, in case anyone is wondering.)