"Q_strncpyz: NULL src" error

kajto3

first, I post it here because I have no idea where else I could post it...

This error appears for all players on random time/map. Suddenly all the players disconnect and connect with that error. It's already happened a few times, in short time, recently. Now when it is repeating I wanted to show this to you... Maybe it's not mod's problem, but I hope U can help me.

Of course, for individual player this error means that your graphics card driver is obsolete or sth. But I repeat, it happens to all players! And nobody can connect to server - until server's restart (manually). And additionaly, some ppl say, that they config has been reseted? Only for those who were trying to connect to server during this error.

server's logs dont say anything.. just ppl try to connect/disconnect and bots are playing.

We have stable server machine on OVH (2x Intel Core2Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, uptime 225 days).

check the server to see more info: 94.23.93.59:27960

• Management

This is a generic error message which tells that an uninitialized C-string was fed to a string manipulation function. In this case copying a string to a new location in memory. Just in case, these details help solving the problem further.

However, the information is not sufficient to tell where it happened or what it tried to do. Furthermore, based on the error message it is not possible to even determine if the error happened in a mod function or in the game engine. And as a finishing touch, the error doesn't allow crash, but it still closes the game. I.e. there is no backtrace/debugging information available.

This is in effect the worst kind of bug to have without knowing before hand in what function it happens.

Try to figure a way to reproduce it somehow. Maybe it happens in some map or you have Lua scripts or something custom made. Which would narrow the possibilities. Hopefully you could find a way to reproduce this bug.

some person tells me, it's a CPU overload, is it possible?

well, if that's true... we had more people on server these days. but it doesnt crash when it's too much people - there was about 6... and today, it occured 2 times in short time...

what about CFG resetting? isn't it strange?

edit:

ah now I undersand your statement... I should check my memory load sometimes...

or it's not dedicated server's issue?

Edited by kajto3

• Management
This is most likely a programming error of some sort, but it is very hard to know what causes it. If it is something that only clients suffer, then it is probably something what the server is sending or triggering on them. In what version of the mod this happened the first time. Just to know if this could be some recently made bug in the mod. Is there anything on your server that you would consider rare among ET servers. Do you have Lua or anything that could be sending commands to the clients.

hmm yes the problem is fixed.

I've analyzed server logs and I noticed it happens after some 'thing'. We have a shrub command, it doesnt change anything in game actally or even causes such problems (if u edit it too much). it's called '!lagi' and players type it to reduce their lags (supposedly :) ). ofc as I said it doesnt help at all. anyway, it execs a file with some forcecvars. well, I added some recently... and it caused this problem. now I reduced it to only four, basic cvars (like it was before). the server was crashing with the error after typing !lagi !lagi !lagi !lagi in short piece of time. now, after the file with forcecvar is edited, server restarted, I can write !lagi !lagi as much I want - and nothing happens:) :) so, it may be something to fix in next versions of silent mod.