XP Save Activity

JvIasterMind

There are some players on our server that keep their xp past the g_XPSaveMaxAge_xp by connecting and then disconnecting again without playing every couple days (our g_XPSaveMaxAge_xp is set to 60h).

To combat this, it would be nice to have a cvar that could specify a minimum amount of xp that needs to be gained in a session to reset the xp save timelimit for that player. This way, we could set it to some low value like 100xp to ensure that the player at least plays a little bit and earns the time extension.

• Management
I think you have found a bug in the database implementation. The time of the player is indeed when he has last been connected and not when he has last played or saved new XP. The XP age doesn't have other times to compare against. The next version is going to have a new player database anyway to implement some new features so now is the optimal time to make changes to it. Please do note that this is not a promise of any feature.

• Management

One question, should the XP save be prevented if the g_XPSaveMinXP threshold is not exceeded? With high value for the threshold, it can cause some players to gain XP but so little that the last XP save time does not get updated.

I'm leaning a little to the preventing the XP save to avoid confusion, but I would appreciate input on this matter since you have a server where you would like to utilize this.

• Management
As an additional question. Would it be usefull to have the skill upgrades separated from the XP save. As an option of course. So that the collected total XP would be stored but level upgrade XP could reset separately as in campaign. It could bring the good from both. Being able to collet the XP and the fun achieving the upgrades as well.

I think you have found a bug in the database implementation. The time of the player is indeed when he has last been connected and not when he has last played or saved new XP. The XP age doesn't have other times to compare against. The next version is going to have a new player database anyway to implement some new features so now is the optimal time to make changes to it. Please do note that this is not a promise of any feature.

I think that is a good idea. The situation where that would feel strange would be if you earn a class skill while not earning enough xp for g_XPSaveMinXP. The next time you would connect you would lose the skill also. Not quite sure how players would react in that situation, but it would be pretty short lived since they can quickly earn the skill again if g_XPSaveMinXP is low.

One thing I think we should have would be an entry in the stats window that tells players how much xp they need for xp save. I would imagine the best place would be somewhere near where the xp required to gain a skill level is listed.

As an additional question. Would it be usefull to have the skill upgrades separated from the XP save. As an option of course. So that the collected total XP would be stored but level upgrade XP could reset separately as in campaign. It could bring the good from both. Being able to collet the XP and the fun achieving the upgrades as well.

I don't think I would use an option like that. If you reset the skill upgrades, the xp seems kind of useless (other than showing how much you play). I think most people play on xpsave servers to preserve their skills. Plus, if a player wanted to earn the upgrades again, they could just do a !resetmyxp command. The other issue is that many players use the xp number to gauge how many skills the other players on the server have (ie, a medic playing on a server with 5000 xp likely has adren or an engy playing with 5000xp likely has a flak jacket). Having the values separate might cause some confusion.