Private messages disable/enabled for different levels

jaie

A way to allow only certain levels to private message.

My idea is to have the default level at say 2, and then put people who abuse private chat to level 1 or 0, and have private messages disabled for those levels so that they will have to say everything in the open - without having the other levels stripped from private messages :)

• Management

I don't like the idea. It will bring useless inside discussions to the open too. Increasing the spam that way. And for the worse, something nobody else probably wont even understand. It's hard enough to get players spam each others with private messages instead of global chat already.

However, a different mute type could be usefull. Muting player ability to use private messages. It would not be bound to any levels and normal people could still chat with friends using private messages.

Would rather have inside discussions in the open than them non-stop swearing at someone because they killed them.

This private messages mute would work too, but I like that the level mute would group them, and other admins would not be able to re-enable / pm-unmute, in the level idea.

However, what I didn't think of - was that the !setlevel command would be needed to effectively pm-mute someone, in the level idea. And giving someone the !setlevel command to mute someone is very unnecessary, so I do agree that the individual private-message mute would be better.

Edited by jaie

• Management

However, a different mute type could be usefull. Muting player ability to use private messages. It would not be bound to any levels and normal people could still chat with friends using private messages.

This could also work. But the issue with that one will be, players will disconnect and then reconnect and hence removing the mute.

May be we can move the mute to IP and GUID both? Not sure at present how we handle the mute.

• Management

Mutes don't get cleared with reconnect at the present system either.

However, the mutes must be rewritten anyway because they are not written to the shrubbot and no reasons are stored with them. The original etpub implementation stores the mute time to the xp saved data and in silEnT it got inherited to the user database. However, like in one earlier thread it was mentioned, it would be usefull for admins to see the mutes, reasons and by who.

• 2 months later...