High Ping Players

BECK

• Subscriber

I'd like the experts to comment on this one.  We've had a lot of complaints on our server that high-ping players have an unfair advantage because it is harder to hit them.   I'm wondering if there is any truth to this, and if so what settings will either support making it easier for high ping players, or even the playing field for everyone.

The related settings I have follow:

set g_skipCorrection "1"

set g_maxWarp "4"

set g_antiwarp "1"

Now this one sounds like the culprit:

set g_antilag "1"

-- I have this in my config, but I don't see it in the server WIKI (is it deprecated?)   if this is 0, is it going to take this "advantage" away? I don't want my high ping players to just leave and find another server, that is not the goal here.

Also I have this:

set g_antilagDelay "0"

Thanks for the help.

• Management

High ping players don't have a real advantage. Even with uneven movement (due to an uneven distribution of packets), the low pingers have a lot of time to react first. In fact, dieing against a low pinger very often feels like getting shot by a bot. Unfortunately, there is no way to even the play field in this. At this point, I will remind that if players cry for unhittability, there is no such thing. The position you see someone is the exact position where the hitboxes are. There is no two origins, different for the player model and for the hitboxes. They are the same and the server stores them. Also, there is no way to "fool" the server in this. The players in your screen are in the positions where the server says they are and those positions are stored for the bullet traces.

The g_skipCorrection and g_antiwarp are mutually exclusive. If g_antiwarp is set, the g_skipCorrection is ignored. You can try setting the g_antiwarp to 0. They both attempt to address the same issue and even the movements. Though, it has been sometimes said, that the g_skipCorrection is nicer to high pingers then the g_antiwarp. There is no harm testing both to see if the other fits better.

The g_antilag is not a culprit for anything. All antilag does is it stores player positions and thus allows making traces with positions the players saw the others were when they shot. Well, antilag is the culprit for the "shot around the corner" effect, when the escaping player might already think being safe. This is one example where it is easy to see the disadvantage of high ping. The escaping player would have had a lot of time to shoot the high pinger even in this situation as the server processes all the shots in the order they arrive to the server. Dead players don't make hits.

The g_antilagDelay adds time to the client command times. This will screw the antilag so 0 is the correct value for this.

• Management

High ping players having advantage = BS. I have played from 50 ping, 100 ping and 350 ping on same server with same players. With 350 I get owned and with 50 ping others didn't had any chance to even touch me. 

Played from Asia, East and West Coast US on same server. That's my personal practical experience. Some players always like to whine..

You can also see more testing and hitboxes in this topic:

http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/45057-etpro-hitboxes/

• Subscriber

Thanks guys, I'm glad I've got this to tell people that there isn't an advantage due to ping.   I guess the thinking was they're not actually where you see them so you can't hit them, but you've stated flat out that is false.    Now at least I can tell them this isn't true.