Making custom menu

Dragonji

Hello,

I've made custom menu for the server and now I have a problem. I want to force people to download it when they connect to the server and my question is how can I do it? Gametype on the server is map-vote.

I added to the menu's pk3 some campaign file when I heard I should do it. Uploaded package into server's etmain, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Greetings,

Dragon

It seems I do something wrong or the file menu is wrong.

Have set g_campaignFile "newgen.campaign", reloaded server's cfg, doesn't work. Did the same with g_campaignFile "cmpgn_newgen" (short name of campaign) but result was the same as before.

This is menu file, maybe something isn't good with it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19256625/silEnT/%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E.pk3

Edited by Dragon

Weird, unfortunately again some problems...

I cannot connect to the server now (like everybody who was trying):

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/9337/beztytuuyd.png

Everytime see this, server doesn't allow to download it.

It's weird because maps and other stuff are downloading well, only this menu seems it doesn't work even if I put it into silent folder instead etmain.

Edited by Dragon

• Management

It will not support that long name in pk3. Shrink to 40 characters in it and I think it will be fine.

AFAIk, I started using ~~ name in pk3 while back in 2008-9. Then other server admins kept padding ~ for there menu without thinking over single time. Till that time everyone was using z_xxx.

Don't go with what other admins are doing right now. Many admins now a days think, if we will over write other clan menus, there server will be best out on ET. No it's not really like that. You get popular if players like your server. I think max limit is around 52 or so.

People don't understand that they are living no room if there is an md5 mismatch. Normally when md5 mismatch occurs it add's some suffix values to the pk3 and downloads it properly.

Imagine any clan using max numbers in there pk3.. Once I noticed WOOD or Turkish clan was running like 25 servers in ET, forcing users to download the pk3.. Now if by any chance any player joins that server, he will never be able to join your's. Who is at loss?

I would suggest to use ~~~dragon.pk3 as a pk3 name and it will work perfectly fine.

Rest is up to you my friend.

Thanks for the info Dare, I really appreciate it. I missed thing with maxchars, I thought ET supports 255 characters in the filename like Windows.

OK, my menu filename has now 43 characters + extension and works right.

I think players from [WOOD] and TurkishTeam won't come to new silEnT server... If they enjoy their game on such shit servers (big words but they're mostly true) with ugly menus and admins who abuse their power...

People don't understand that they are living no room if there is an md5 mismatch. Normally when md5 mismatch occurs it add's some suffix values to the pk3 and downloads it properly.

Imagine any clan using max numbers in there pk3.. Once I noticed WOOD or Turkish clan was running like 25 servers in ET, forcing users to download the pk3.. Now if by any chance any player joins that server, he will never be able to join your's. Who is at loss?

When there is a mismatch, new file will be for sure (at least on WinXP, dunno if it depends on Windows or game engine) downloaded larger about 8 chars (9 chars if you count dot), 43+9=52 - seems it should work. If I have new problems with the menu I think I can fix it myself, cause now I know what can be wrong.

Thanks for your post Dare.

Greetings.

Edited by Dragon

• Management

I think players from [WOOD] and TurkishTeam won't come to new silEnT server... If they enjoy their game on such shit servers (big words but they're mostly true) with ugly menus and admins who abuse their power...

I think you are assuming wrong there buddy. From my experience trend is different ...

Newbie starts with big servers because he has more chance to kill in crowd.. but after sometime he get's bored because there is no fun in game play with small maps.. I mean common how can you play purefrag map with 50 players? It's just like binding mouse 1 for continuous shooting and move around..

Now that player will start visiting other servers.. I can say with confidence, players from there server have high chance to visit your server and once they do, there is very less chance they will visit those servers again.

Now that player will start visiting other servers.. I can say with confidence, players from there server have high chance to visit your server and once they do, there is very less chance they will visit those servers again.

OK but if a player visits new servers and becomes fond one of them, he/she still has shit menus from big servers. Newbies often don't know how to delete them and they still won't see menu from new server they like. IMHO there is no good solution :(

• Management

I agree. This is one of the biggest bugs in the ET. Configurability is a good thing, but there is no control over it (or privileges either) and all the custom contents will eventually overlap or some server will dominate the content.

There should be yes/no question asked, in the game itself of course, will the player want to install the custom menus of some server or not. That would not prevent the player from playing on the server.

• Management

OK but if a player visits new servers and becomes fond one of them, he/she still has shit menus from big servers. Newbies often don't know how to delete them and they still won't see menu from new server they like. IMHO there is no good solution :(

They just re install the game and never visit that server back. I hate all those servers who create menus such that it auto opens my browser and moves me to there website page.

Pros delete the files and newbies, re install the game because it's just less then 400Mb game. :)