ETPro Hitsounds and 2 weapons?

d33k4y

Hi,

I just tested a local server with silent and so far, it looks really nice.

I still got some questions though:

1. How can I replace the default hitsounds? On my etpub server, I did set "g_hitsound_default" to "sound/etpro/hit.wav", and had those sound files in another .pk3 .
    This doesn't seem to work on silent.
    I tried to change the silent-0.5.2.pk3 and replace the hitsound-file, but got a sykbox.....something error when connecting.

2. Medic, Engineer and FieldOp can choose between Thompson and MP-40. How can I deactivate this?

Thanks in advance.

d33k4y

Don't modify the silent-0.5.2.pk3 file. Modifying this file and redistributing it on your server will cause problems for your players. You must always rename a pk3 file if you modify it. This happened on a lot of No Quarter servers and it was awful. They left some settings in their mod pk3 files that a lot of admins changed, and many of them did not rename it. So there were fifty versions of the same pk3 file out there, and it hurt the mod a lot because everyone was issuing different versions of the same file.

You can change the hitsound quite easily by downloading the silentsoundpack1.pk3 file form the download section of this forum, opening it with pakscape or winzip, and replacing the sound file in there with your favorite one. Be sure to rename the file so you don't distribute a bad copy.

Also you cannot remove the mp40/thompson weapon menu listing on silent mod. It is hard coded into the silent mod itself. It's not something you can turn off with a config setting.

Hey phantasm,

thanks for your answer, I'm going to try it with the silentsoundpack1.pk3 .

Edit: works fine. So I can replace any file of the silent.pk3 like this? If I have a new version of my .pk3, I can just give it another version number, but the old versions are still going to stay on the client, aren't they?

Is there a reason, why that option is hard coded in silent? And is this going to change in future releases?

Thanks again.

Edited by d33k4y

• Subscriber

Edit: works fine. So I can replace any file of the silent.pk3 like this? If I have a new version of my .pk3, I can just give it another version number, but the old versions are still going to stay on the client, aren't they?

Yes, any .pk3 files you put in your silent folder will be required by the clients. They will have to manually clean up their own folders, you cannot have the server instruct the client to delete a file. This would be bad. :)

So if you change your sound pak every week, a client will need to re-download it. My clan does a versioning system on the file so that there aren't any problems with duplicate file names or anything like that. But this would result in you "polluting" your clients folders with a bunch of pk3s that they don't need. This shouldn't affect them from server to server, but can create an unpredicatable configuration when hosting a local server. Some servers will even modify the loading screens and default ET menus. And this is how modding is done in general - ANY file that is in the pak0.pk3 file or silent pk3 file can be overwritten by your own files, provided they are named the same and in the exact same directory inside your own pk3 file. So if you wanted custom skins or to modify the weapon sounds, you can do this easily in your own pk3 file and put it in your silent folder.

@Beck: Thank you for this explanation.

In the next release you will be able to deactivate this by cvar, and have it like in the original game, that means: allies will be able to choose only Thompson and axis only MP40.

And thanks again.

@clan DIABOLIK: Yes, and i appreciate it. ;)

I'm glad, that there's a still mod being developed and that there are still people playing ET.

I played it a lot 5 years (or more) ago and I think it's going to stay the best game I ever played. :)

ET loads the pk3 files in order, and as each is loaded by the server it's contents are added to the current settings. So when you add a pk3 file to your server, it needs to have a name that will be loaded later than whatever you are trying to overpower in the original settings. So the default mod pk3 has one hit sound, and when your pk3 loads after it the hitsound gets replaced with what is in your file. That is why you see lots of pk3 files that start with "zzz" or "~~~~~". These characters force the server to load them last, so they will overwrite the previously loaded pk3 files.

The "silentsoundpack1.pk3" file gets loaded just after the "silent-0.5.2.pk3" for example.

Also just add a larger number to the end if you change one of your own custom pk3 files. For example silentsoundpack1.pk3, silentsoundpack2.pk3, etc. (Please use your own name though).

With clan server menus in particular, you will often see people use names like "~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.pk3" because they are trying to get their menu file run last on the client's etmain, so they can overwrite all the other clan server menus. It's kind of an arms race.

Ok, so the order depends on the file name, good to know.

We're already at it, so another question:

I read somewhere, that this mod is not based on changes of the ET source code? Is that right?

If it's right, how does it work? I'm seeing LUA everywhere and know what it is, but still don't know how it works with the ET-engine.

• Management
silEnT is based on the ETPub 0.9.1 version which is based on the ET SDK. Saying ET source code usually refers to the engine and not to the game code. Mod usually refers to the changes in the game code. Sometimes custom paks are also referred as mods. But those change skins and model etc and they are not programmed changes. Lua is on the mod side and it originates in the ETPub.