Optional Pk3s

Zelly
Go to solution Solved by BECK,

Is it possible to add the ability to have optional pk3s to the mod. For things that are not required, like sounds.

I love having A LOT of sounds, but I hate requiring them to be downloaded to play.

For example have a folder in silent directory named optional or possibly a server cvar for the checksum?
Then you can put a pk3 full of wav files in the folder.
and have either a separate client cvar for cl_allowOptionalDownloads 1 or if that is too complex I would be ok with just having the people that want the sounds just download them manually from website.

You can probably think of a better way of approaching this but I was just shooting the idea your way, thoughts?

• Subscriber
  • Solution

I think this is already possible.   On our server we have custom weapon sounds and different skins and mine markers --- we put the PK3 files in the etmain folder on the server.   If you have the same files in your own etmain folder on your PC, you will be able to use them at our server, but it doesn't effect your experience at other servers.   It works for us at least --- so no one is required to have them, and if they do have them they will be able to experience them and there are no forced downloads.    In my experience, anything in silent folder on the server must be in the silent folder on the client, since we have sv_pure = 1, so clients will have to download customizations.   But this isn't the case for stuff we have in etmain, with the exception of custom maps.  

Edited by BECK

Hmm well I guess this would work then.

I thought that having stuff like that in etmain folder would sometimes still get downloaded automatically under certain circumstances.

I will try it thanks.

Appears to be working lol, I guess never mind then unless there are downsides to doing it this way, which for some reason I thought there were.

Thanks beck :)

Edited by Zelly