Possible Skin options?

Antichrist

I've been playing on Silent for several months now, most reviews from players are great.

The server I usually play on has just updated from 0.3.3, to 0.4.0.

The main concencus with players so far is they would like an option to use the previous menu/skin style.

Will this be something to look for in the future, or will this just be a new change for everyone to get used to?

• Management
TheSilencer has been the author of the new menu and partial HUD themes. So he is the best to answer this. Though, the initial intent was to include the traditional ET menus but some new features didn't permit this. The old one didn't have the required flexibility. I doubt that there is going back to the old. At least in the fullest extent.

Whilst I understand the limitations of the original themes, i'm sure (if it is worth doing to keep people happy) that you could replicate it whilst keeping current flexibility.. But, what do I know :) I'm a programmer but I'm not a mod developer xD Know absolutely nothing about the backend of ET.

• Management

It's possible to use the old styles of windows but only to some extent. It's the backward compatibility which was tried to be achieved here. This is something that would require to change the WINDOW macro definitions in menumacros.h. Just change the WINDOW_STYLE_SIL_TITLE to WINDOW_STYLE_FILLED or whatever from among old styles defined in menudef.h.

However this is of course not recommended, as the final result might not be what it used to be before and of course this would change the UI look for all the players because such change would have to be made server side.

There is no possibility to switch to the old UI on the client side.

There was something like this at the beginning of development, that when the ui_theme cvar was set to 0 (no theme) the old UI was used. Unfortunately, this feature had to be dropped because, as gaoesa already stated, we wouldn't be able to create the new UI without dropping the old UI. It was not flexible enough.

The quickest and easiest thing to do is just go back to a 0.3.0 zip and unzip it in a different folder. Take just the UI folder, take the ingame stuff and zip it up and basically "create an ingame menu". Save it as ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~mainmenu.pk3 in pakscape or a program that allows you to zip up pk3 files and then put that into your silent folder. Should pull up the old menu instead of the new one if that is what you are wanting.

Personally, Silencer, I love your new menus! I wish I could figure out how to make the rest of the menus look like this!

• Management

The easiest way, the first that comes to my mind is to:

1. Copy the: ui_mp_x86.dll (ui.mp.i386.so) from 0.4.0 to the "etmain" directory under enemy territory installation dir, for linux this is: /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/etmain

2. Copy the silent-0.4.0.pk3 to local user folder and rename it to e.g. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.pk3. Againg for linux this is: /home//.etwolf/etmain

This way the default ui dll that will be loaded will be the silEnT one and the menu definitions will be taken from the zzz...pk3 file. This way the ui dll will match the menu definitions and all will be running fine right from the start, without prior mod loading. But AFAIK the mod load would not still help if the ui dll was the original ET one. That's why this needs to be changed.

Go ahead and try, it works for me. Don't ask me about windows directories, it's an unknown world for me, so forgive me :)

If doing that, say you have a customized main menu in your etmain, will it change the buttons to the ones that you have created? Or will it keep the old ones still? I tried switching out the menumacros and menudef files and put them into the custom UI folder I have and it just erased the buttons, but kept the linkds lol. Would that be because I did not have the ui_mp_x86.dll in my etmain?

• Management

My first question would be what you don't like in "new UI" ? IMO rather then finding ways to go to old version, i would expect new suggestion to make new theme more awesome.

Why do Mircosoft releases Windows 7 when Windows XP is working fine? or why even Ubuntu changed their UI when old one was working fine? :)

• Management

Unfortunately it might not be possible anymore, sorry. I wrote it quickly as a fast response without looking into the code. Please forgive me misleading you. There were more changes actually, that made it impossible to achieve with such easy steps. I don't know if it's possible at all. I've never thought about bringing the old menus back since we decided to move forward and abandon the old style for the reasons described above.

It might be possible, but more changes would be needed. But I am not sure if it still would work. However I don't want to discuss this anymore. If you want to mess with the UI do it on your own, we do not support so complicated scenarios. Either like it or hate it :)

• Management

I'nm hoping that is a reply to Chuckon, cause if it's towards me, I think you might have read my message a little wrong. I love then new UI hellreturn, and really wish i could take that look and implement it into my main menu looks.

No not at all. It was towards the OP.

• Management
The main concencus with players so far is they would like an option to use the previous menu/skin style.

There is a chance to create another theme which will look like the old UI (the original ET one).

I'nm hoping that is a reply to Chuckon, cause if it's towards me (...)

It wasn't towards you. It was just to state to all that we don't want to support manual changing of internal UI stuff.

Thank you for all the replies, I'll update players as I see them mention the menus.

My first question would be what you don't like in "new UI" ? IMO rather then finding ways to go to old version, i would expect new suggestion to make new theme more awesome.

Why do Mircosoft releases Windows 7 when Windows XP is working fine? or why even Ubuntu changed their UI when old one was working fine? :)

I personally have no issue with new menus. I think sometimes change is good. The new menus offer no problems, no bugs that I see, and do not change gameplay. So is there a problem with a menu? No I don't care that they're changed.

The players only complaint so far was that they "liked" the old menus. So I thought I would ask about a skin option, since most players would never sign up to a forum to ask 1 question. But other than appearance, I have heard no other complaints. I think it's just a matter of the players were used to 1 thing, and now the menu changed so it becomes a big issue for them.

But with this information, I can answer their questions about menus better, thank you :)