• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google Log In with Steam Sign In
  • Create Account
Photo

Add a new database system

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
A step in the right direction

Shrubbot is absolute crap in my opinion.

The latest mods all or mostly use databases now instead of a shrubbot system so I'd like to see that added in Silent.

OFFLINE   gaoesa

gaoesa

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4391 posts
Will become famous
  • LocationFinland

We have extended shrubbot(adminsystem) to much further then any other mod. We also use database to store data of the players. Please explain more accurately what you mean?

OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

What I meant was the admin system.

For example if you take a look at Jaymod or Nitmod they both use a level.db instead of a shrubbot.cfg so that is what I meant, though instead of flags there could be the command names to avoid any confusion.

OFFLINE   Dragonji

Dragonji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
On the road to fame
  • LocationPoland

It is good as it is now...

OFFLINE   hellreturn

hellreturn

Management

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2693 posts
On the road to fame

What I meant was the admin system.

For example if you take a look at Jaymod or Nitmod they both use a level.db instead of a shrubbot.cfg so that is what I meant, though instead of flags there could be the command names to avoid any confusion.

I have my fair share with Jaymod system getting corrupted every now and then. Jaymod system is most unreliable. 

OFFLINE   Hitman

Hitman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

yeah but shrubbot.cfg flags cannot be like jaymod levels.db ? coz its easier to set flags with command names 

OFFLINE   Dragonji

Dragonji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
On the road to fame
  • LocationPoland

And what about current 100+ silEnT servers? Force them to rewrite their admin levels just to make life easier for a few other people?

OFFLINE   JohnDory

JohnDory

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Getting Better
  • LocationCornwall, UK

I can see this may be a good idea if someone is starting a new server but not for those already using silent with shrubbot.

It works here for us as it is.

OFFLINE   gaoesa

gaoesa

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4391 posts
Will become famous
  • LocationFinland

One problem with that change would be the existing configurations. However, we could have the command names parallel with the flags and that might provide better flexibility then what we have now. But the real problem, with the implementation, is the amount of refactoring that is needed. The original system was designed only the flags in mind. So the costs of refactoring the shrubbot is high. And it would probably introduce some bugs with it as well. Meaning, it would span over several releases to be done. We can keep thinking about the least painfull way to add the possibility, though.

OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Well. You wouldn't need to change it for older versions if its implemented in the next or future releases would you?

OFFLINE   hellreturn

hellreturn

Management

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2693 posts
On the road to fame

Well. You wouldn't need to change it for older versions if its implemented in the next or future releases would you?

Then the other servers admins need to update and re-do their shrubbot.cfg or stick to old versions which we don't support. We only support latest version bug fixes.

That being said what difference does it makes if Panzerwar is called Panznerwar or just P?  We have 80+ commands and last time I checked Jaymod had just appx 40 commands..  I think with 80+ command short forms are much useful rather then full names. 

OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Aye though its not about which mod has more commands than the other does it? No. Its about flags / names.

OFFLINE   gaoesa

gaoesa

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4391 posts
Will become famous
  • LocationFinland

You wouldn't need to change it for older versions if its implemented in the next or future releases would you?

We are not making new builds of old version. But we need to support the old configuration files with new versions. And this wasn't even the point of my post. What I said is that it takes a lot of work to add relatively small amount of flexibility.

OFFLINE   Dookie

Dookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
Getting Better
  • LocationCroatia

I think we are good with the current.

OFFLINE   Hitman

Hitman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

yeah but is it possible that we can use both? like who want to use flags they use flags and who wants to use commands they can use that is it possible?

OFFLINE   Dennis92NL

Dennis92NL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
On a distinguished road
  • LocationAmsterdam

It is good as it is now...

Totally agree with Dragonji. There is nothing to improve here.

OFFLINE   clan DIABOLIK

clan DIABOLIK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Getting Better

"Simply the best"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users