Add a new database system

Reaper

• Management

What I meant was the admin system.

For example if you take a look at Jaymod or Nitmod they both use a level.db instead of a shrubbot.cfg so that is what I meant, though instead of flags there could be the command names to avoid any confusion.

I have my fair share with Jaymod system getting corrupted every now and then. Jaymod system is most unreliable. 

• Management

One problem with that change would be the existing configurations. However, we could have the command names parallel with the flags and that might provide better flexibility then what we have now. But the real problem, with the implementation, is the amount of refactoring that is needed. The original system was designed only the flags in mind. So the costs of refactoring the shrubbot is high. And it would probably introduce some bugs with it as well. Meaning, it would span over several releases to be done. We can keep thinking about the least painfull way to add the possibility, though.

• Management

Well. You wouldn't need to change it for older versions if its implemented in the next or future releases would you?

Then the other servers admins need to update and re-do their shrubbot.cfg or stick to old versions which we don't support. We only support latest version bug fixes.

That being said what difference does it makes if Panzerwar is called Panznerwar or just P?  We have 80+ commands and last time I checked Jaymod had just appx 40 commands..  I think with 80+ command short forms are much useful rather then full names. 

• Management

You wouldn't need to change it for older versions if its implemented in the next or future releases would you?

We are not making new builds of old version. But we need to support the old configuration files with new versions. And this wasn't even the point of my post. What I said is that it takes a lot of work to add relatively small amount of flexibility.

• 4 weeks later...