Permanent Bans and Shownormals

LiveFast

Ok so our server has seen it's fair share of cheaters whether it's aimbot or wallhack or both, however there have been select few who are very good at circumventing the ban system on silent successfully even on silent 0.7.2 not going to explain how they do it as i'm quite sure you know as do a few people... so I'm hoping that for next version there is a 100 percent ban method added presumably via hardware?

Also it would be great if silent had a flag specific command for R_shownormals 1/0 while actually on the server for to spot people using wallhack rather than only being able to do so while viewing demos, no idea if this has been suggested before however it would be nice feature for the next release.

and finally being able to check aliases with persons IP instead of the silent ID because silent ID's can be deleted and regenerated so it's no guarantee whether that person has been on server before or not.

Regards

LF

Ok so our server has seen it's fair share of cheaters whether it's aimbot or wallhack or both, however there have been select few who are very good at circumventing the ban system on silent successfully even on silent 0.7.2 not going to explain how they do it as i'm quite sure you know as do a few people... so I'm hoping that for next version there is a 100 percent ban method added presumably via hardware?

http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Mod_Server_Cvar#g_identOptions

• Management

In adition to ident options, you might want to take a look at !subnetban command. Also, http://mygamingtalk.com/forums/topic/2501-proxies-which-admins-can-pre-ban-to-stop-cheaters-trouble-makers-etc/ might be usefull for stopping the cheaters using proxies.

Ability to set r_shownormals to individual players on the server would open possibility for exploit. So we will not be doing this. The possible benefits don't outweight the risks.

Player IPs change a lot. Some people can have their IP change every hour. It is not possible to track aliases by IP addressess. You have the option to use !usersearch IP command though. It is more tricky indeed, but does provide all the information with more work.

Would it be possible to create a whole new command or flag for admins that would enable them to see players through walls when enabled?

I kind of assume the same risk for exploit would apply here as well though.

Shrubbot is pretty solid, and as long as you could not join a team whilst using it (just like shoutcasters can't), it would be fine :) I just don't think the engine would allow it :P

• Management

Would it be possible to create a whole new command or flag for admins that would enable them to see players through walls when enabled?

I kind of assume the same risk for exploit would apply here as well though.

No as now. Just record demo and replay it through r_shownormals

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than using r_shownormals , why not impletementing a total new function linked to shoutcaster function ( which is already protected enough ) . Could add some new code that would create a red or blue silhouette to let you spot wallhackers.

Jaymod implemented a (shity) glow function so in theory it would be possible.

Edited by Quovadis

Rather than using r_shownormals , why not impletementing a total new function linked to shoutcaster function ( which is already protected enough ) . Could add some new code that would create a red or blue silhouette to let you spot wallhackers.

Jaymod implemented a (shity) glow function so in theory it would be possible.

This is exactly what I meant ^_^