BACKUPS

clan DIABOLIK

Hi everybody, particularly admins ...

Never forget to backup all the files of your server.

My friend has forgotten to pay his VPS (a cheap linux box), did not check his mailbox and now, machine is unreachable !

And, title of this topic, we have never done any BACKUP ...

I feel very sad, and I don't have the courage to build another one... it was perfect !!! (according to me of course)

And I can't find any bribes of temporary files that Firefox could have left on my computer (I mean default.cfg, <maps>.cfg, waypoints, server.cfg ofc, nothing ....)

Bye all, don't forget: "make backups"

[DIABOLIK]$mart    <----- as you see, "smart" in french has not English meaning  :(

Don't give up hope!  A hosting company will never completely remove data until plenty of time has passed, because if they still have your data ready to go, it means you are more likely to come back and keep paying them! If they deleted your data they would be very foolish.. So await their response and pay the bill if they still have your data!

Thanks a lot @all for your support, nice from you  

If they deleted your data they would be very foolish.. 

I'm afraid it is the case, they just propose to make a new command for another VPS, I learn here the term 'foolish' ...

This stupid company is: http://qualityserv.fr/  :ph34r:  I remember when I was at http://dediserverhosting.com/ it was zero problem !

I don't have the courage to build another one...

I found the courage, now I tune a @home server  to get the same settings as the original one, g_mode+g_weapons+g_misc make 90% of the server; cool !

In few days, a good BACKUP <_<  and will upload on another VPS

Bye all !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I'm back with a new public server :) (and the backup @home server is OFF! a good thing, was unplayable for players with 200ping)

All settings are same than previous (I hope so) excepted all XPs are gone, and of-course a new IP  :angry:

But from day to day, I see old regulars re-connecting and some new ETPlayers, so I am happy now the show must go on  B)

Thanks all for your kind words and see-you again on this helpful forum !

Bye, $mart

@McBeth: yes, I was last-year at  http://dediserverhosting.com/ all OK, but now it's a VPS (linux box) with root access  :P

Edited by clan DIABOLIK